Chapter Eight

"Avery, please wake up." A voice whispered, it had deep bass to it that caused me to shiver.

I awoke to the same monotone beeping as the day before, it was rather irritating to hear and when the IV blared because my liquid was low, it made me want to yank the needle out, grab the IV, and chuck across the room as heard as I could. I had only been hooked up yesterday and today but even then, I was growing easily frustrated with everything and I knew the main reason it was because I had lost my baby. The loud blaring made me want to grown and suffocate myself with one of the pillows that I was propped against as I slept, I laid with my eyes sealed shut while waiting for someone to come and turn the IV off so I could lay back to sleep. I tired to open my eyes and found the strength for once, the light of the hut was very low and I assumed it was dark outside considering that nothing shined through the holes of the hut walls.

I turned my head as someone wiped sweat from my forehead with a cold, wet towel, I fought the urge to roll my eyes in the back of my head before I noticed the people hanging around. I stared onward past them while wondering why they were here, there was no baby to see and I didn't have a thing to say to any of them. The loud blaring of the IV only irked me more as I waited for it to be turned off but no one made a move as I turned my head to look at my IV, it shockingly wasn't the first time I opened my eyes since yesterday but this was the longest I had them open. I was completely blown away to notice my IV was perfectly fine and my liquid bag was a completely new one, just opened with my name scribbled in marker over it, I frowned as the blaring of an IV continued before turning to look around me. 

My breath hitched and I felt like something had lodged itself in my throat as I noticed a glass cart, I looked harder with my eyes squint as I noticed something small moving inside glass cart with wheels attached to the bottom of it. Disbelief filled me as I pushed my body up and stared at the cart with shock at the baby inside, it was hooked to multiple IVs while laying in only a diaper and a clipped secured to the end of it's umbilical cord. It had a bush of black hair on the top of its head and it's cap that it was once wearing had been pulled off and laid beside it's head in the corner of it's bed, its' hands were so small and occasionally flaring around as it breathed with the help of a nasal cannula. One of the baby's tiny hands had a grasp on the nasal cannula and it was trying to pull it out with it's eyes still closed, I stared on in shock as Stephanie suddenly appeared to get the baby's hand off the nasal cannula and plug it back inside.

"Avery..." The same velvety whispered, catching my attention once more but I refused to turn my eyes away from the baby. "See, they're all fine." They're?

I turned my head slowly, not wanting to become dizzy as I turned to see what the mysterious woman was talking about and just as I went to look at her, I noticed two more of the same glass carts with wheels attached to them. Frances was standing beside one of the glass carts as I stared at both of the wheeled carts in awe, I looked at the cart that Fran was standing by to see him waving at the baby inside. The baby's skin was wrinkly and the diaper was three sizes too big as it laid also attached to multiple IVs, it's nasal cannula was secured it place by a large wad of tape as it laid with his tiny feet occasionally kicking through the air. Beautiful, soft gray eyes stared around the hut in admiration as the baby took in everything around it, including Fran as he made funny faces at the baby. 

Even though Fran was trying to get a reaction from it, the baby remained emotionless while staring at the many places around it and almost trying to avoid Fran's funny faces purposely, I didn't fight my smile as I stared at the baby while it put its foot up in the air before dropping it. I looked at the last baby as my eyelids started to become heavy once more, the last baby was asleep in it's glass cart with it's nasal cannula also secured in place with a large wad of tape. The baby opened it's eyes as mine became blurry and I was able to see it's dazzling brown eyes as it started to mewl at the sound of my IV blaring, also causing me annoyance as I dossed off to sleep with one realization, I had triplets and they were okay. 

I was now going to be able to spoil them with everything they could possibly want, with them, I was no longer going to be along and forced to face this world on my own. Happiness coursed through my veins as I relaxed for the first time since my surgery, joyful things rung through my head as I waited for sleep to overtake me, which I knew was coming very soon. I had my babies and they would soon be ready to conquer the world and we would be okay, which or without Barry by our side because I could already tell that people were going to love the triplets like they had them. I also knew Frances would force Barry to be in my babies lives because he seemed always have the motherly instinct about him.