Chapter 20 -- Watch out for falling houses

Comenzar desde el principio

He stares at me, waiting for me to be finished. "My best friend is Thomas. He's always talking about Red Raven, but I've never seen him use any powers or anything. If he is Red Raven, though, he would know that I'm Crossfire just because of his mental capabilities. But Thomas has never said anything." I contemplate this new information.

Why would Mickey and Thomas be working together?

***

School is always pretty rough. Even if you're in the top of the class, there are some days you don't want to step foot on campus. I felt this way all 180 school days.

People had already asked me about the hospital accident and why I was in there in the first place. I knew walking into school today that there would be no need to have a spotlight on me anymore. Boy, was I wrong.

Every jock is staring at me, every girl pointing and laughing at me. If I didn't know any better, I'd say I was dreaming. This is straight from a nightmare. I just hope I'm not walking around with my clothes inside out or toilet paper stuck to my shoe.

As I pass by Mickey, he adverts my eyes. Oh. This is him feeling guilty, but not confessing. Well, I know how to make him feel a smidge worse.

"Hey babe!" I skip over to him, acting way more perky than I've ever been. Maybe I should dial it down. He allows a grin to come to his face, but it's more fake than Sophia Brown.

He wraps his arm around my waist, grinning from ear to ear as he says, "Hey, beautiful."

One word. Sickening.

"So how was the game?" I play dumb. At the mention of the game, I feel him tense up. Yes, I think to myself. Keep feeling guilty, Mickey.

"We won." He plasters on a fake smile. What's his angle? Where's Sophia? Why is he pretending like he didn't know I was at the game?

"That's great! So I've gotta get to class but I'll see you at lunch, okay?" To add to my exit, I blow a kiss in his direction. I witness the whole school watching. Plenty of people knew I was at the game. They weren't saying anything because they wanted to see how I played it out.

I was going to give them one heck of a show.

***

I never saw Mickey at lunch, but I didn't really want to either. Even though I already made it hail on his car, he needed to know that it wasn't a freak accident. I needed to let him know face to face that I knew everything.

But now was not the time.

I drive over a few blocks to Mason's abandoned shack. Jonas practically ran out of our A.P Biology class (and he didn't sit beside me either) and out of the school building faster than I could call after him. If I had used my powers to chase after him, he'd know I set him up to meet with Crossfire. I had to lay low.

So I gave him a five minute head start. I used this time to aimlessly wander the halls dramatically like they do in movies.

Who do you think I am?

I was wandering the halls, but I was stopped by Sophia, the wicked witch of the west. Not bothering to roll my eyes, I brushed by her without a second glance. She was not pleased with my attitude.

"Got a problem, Della?" I stop in my tracks. Is it appropriate to crack my knuckles an swing on her? Yes. Will I? Well, uh, who's stopping me?

"Yeah I've got problems, but not as many as you. What girl steals a girl's boyfriend right in front of her?" I scoff, clenching my fists.

She smirks, and you'd think with her arrogance that she'd have an entourage behind her. This witch traveled alone. It's not like every mean girl had a possy.