(A/N: don't you guys even think about!)

"I mean," I start, licking my dry lips. "Why hasn't anyone come to greet us when we moved into town? We're new, I at least excepted someone to knock at our door." I explain to her.

My head swimming with conclusions and assumptions, I continue to stare at her watch her eyes tighten around the edges and her lips thin.

"W-well there was Logan." she stammered, her eyes flickering from me to the road anxiously.

"More like an enemy than a friend." I utter to her seriously, "You guys act like I didn't notice the tension when we sat at the table and how nervous you both were." I tested.

Her hands tighten around the wheel.

I continued. "Why do I have a feeling you and Dad are keeping something from me?"

She was silent for a full minute, my eyes burning into the side of her face before she opened her mouth.

"It's. . complicated." her voice was low as she spoke.

The car turned down a familiar street, and I knew I didn't have much time left before we arrived at the house.

"Then tell me, please I plead. "cause if you haven't noticed, this town doesn't seem to like us from the stares we've been getting."

"Abigail, don't do this."

Two houses left before we pulled up.

"Don't what? Don't ask about how I feel like I'm being watched in my sleep?! or is it the part that the whole town hates us?" I ask frustratingly.

Swerving into the driveway, the car comes into a jerking stop, she put in park and neither of us made a move to get out. The only thing heard in the silent car was our breathing.

I sighed, "Mom—"

"Look Abigail!" she snapped, cutting me off, her eyebrows furrowed together angrily. "I don't have time for this! If want you want answers, you'll have to wait because you're asking the wrong person."

I blinked, wide eyes at her outburst before I relaxed my face and stared at her blankly.

"Fine, be like that then."

And just like that, I was out the car, slamming it shut and walking up the porch steps.

~ • ~

Dinner was awkward later that night, I could tell Mom told Dad about our conversation on the way home by the way he wouldn't meet my gaze. I stirred my fork in my peas, not bothering to look up when I heard a bit of shuffling.

"So," Dad starts, his deep voice breaking the silence. "How was the appointment?" he asks.

'If you were there, you would know.' is what I wanted to say, but kept my mouth shut.

Mom took this as an opportunity to lighten things up, "It was great! They told me to come back in a few more weeks for another check up." she tells him, a smile on her face as she gazes at him.

"You'll make it next time?" the hopefulness in her time causes my heart to squeeze a bit, Dad reached across the table and tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ear.