Chapter 1

Summary

Tris has survived Dauntless initiation and now is an official member of Dauntless. Tris is really happy with her life but sometimes she wonders about her family and what her life could have been like if she had stayed in Abnegation. Also, Tris feels a little left out because almost everyone in their group is dating someone else. Maybe it's time to step out of her shell and discover a new kind of bravery; love.

Hey guys, so this is my first fanfic so don't be mad if it is bad. This is a divergent fanfic set right after the rankings are put up. There is no war and no simulation. Al is still dead, and fourtris didn't happen (yet). All characters and setting belong to the amazing Veronica Roth, and I am sorry about any errors. I am also sorry about slow updates, because I am really busy with school right now.

Hope you enjoy,

-TheGoldenBookWorm

Chapter one- Tris' POV

First. I am ranked first. I survived Dauntless initiation and I am now an official member of Dauntless. I am returned to the real world when Uriah comes bounding over, "Good job on ranking first Tris. You have to be good to rank above me......" "Ummm, thanks? Should I take that as a complement or an insult?" "Take it how you want it, but I really came over here to talk to you about something else. Zeke is having a party later and I wanted you to come. You can bring your friends if you want, but I think they might want to be alone." Uriah nodded toward Christina and Will who were practically sucking each other's face off. Uriah smirked and headed off to talk with some of his dauntless-born friends. As I stood looking around the room I started getting a weird feeling, sort of like I shouldn't be there; like it didn't belong in a crowded room with hundreds of people who wanted to celebrate. I decided to trust myself and decided to just walk around the compound for a while. Just clear my head a little. On the way out I decided to walk past the training rooms. I remembered how I was back when I still felt so attached to my former faction, Abnegation, and to where I am now. There is a big difference between that quiet girl Beatrice who never said anything at the dinner table, and Tris. The dauntless members who is bold, powerful, whose eyes claim her. But what I really struggle to answer is, is she brave? That I don't know. She is not a coward, but there is a difference between being a coward and having fear. There is a difference between being brave and not being afraid. Who am I at times like this? Am I no one at all? No, I am divergent. I can't be, won't be controlled. But deep down, I am still that small abnegation girl, not Tris. I have just proven that by choosing to leave the celebrations. No matter how hard we try, we never really let go of our old faction. I know I will never completely let go of my abnegation self, no matter how hard I try. Suddenly I see someone moving inside the training room. I can only see the person's hand. Then, I see them pull back and then I see the blade of a knife in the dead center of a target. I know only one person who can throw like that, Four. I have a mental battle with myself about going inside. Eventually my curiosity got the best of me, and I enter. The door closes behind me just as Four releases the handle of another knife. He looks startled. I feel my cheeks turn pink, but I have no idea why because it was my choice to come in here. Embarrassed with myself I turn towards the target. I see the knife that Four just threw stuck in the middle if the target. "So I see you are getting some extra practice in." I say. "I don't need the extra practice. To me it is more like a hobby." "I see" "May I ask you why you are not enjoying the festivities like everyone else?" He questions. "Could as you the same question" "You could but I wouldn't answer truthfully." He shoots back. "Oh, and why ever not?" "You know you would never get the real answer so you would just let it go." "Fair enough" "Have you thought about what job you are going to pick tomorrow?" He says changing the subject. You have to admit, he is smooth about it. "Not seriously. I suppose I will make the right choice for me at the moment I have to. I did the same thing at the choosing ceremony." "Well chose wisely because you get no re-do's or second chances." "Ummmmmm...thanks" I reply like an idiot. Why do I always sound so stupid when I talk. I think that is why I never had many friends back in abnegation. Abnegation. Here I again. His soft voice is what brings me back to reality. "I'll see you tomorrow" "Yeah, tomorrow" and with that, I leave the room with a warm face and a pounding heart.