Chapter 6

"And this is our ballroom. The master used to have many grand balls here. Everyone would come from miles away just to see this place". Dimitri stated. I looked up at the large golden ceilings and twirled my body around. This room was so grand and beautiful with the ancient paintings of heaven and hell. It was an artistes dream to see paintings like this in person.
"I can imagine why. It's so beautiful". I said as twirled around again. As I turned back to face Dimitri this time I noticed the master standing next to him. I almost tripped over myself as I realized what he looked like again. The lion head and fangs were overwhelming, but not as overwhelming as when I had seen them for the first time.
"Forgive me if I started you Carmen". He replied in his deep voice. I shook my head, but before I could answer him he left the room.
"Did I do something wrong?" I asked Dimitri. He sighed and hoped over me.
"The master has not had a guest in the castle since had been changed into that beast. He's upset over what he's become and he doesn't want anyone to see him like that". He explained to me. I looked over at the doorway where the beast had just been standing moments ago and sighed. What made him become what he was? And who did something like that to him?
"Who or what made him that way?" I asked Dimitri. She shook his candle holder hands at me.
"I don't think it's my place to tell you that Carmen. You better let him tell you himself. When he's ready of course". I sighed.
"And how long do you think that'll be?"
"I do not know my dear".
~
As my days here turned into weeks I had seen less and less of Allastor around the castle. It was almost as if he had vanished from the whole castle itself. I had found many ways to keep myself busy though. I spent many long evenings curled up by the fireplace in the grand hall just sketching away. Everything in the castle was so beautiful that I had nearly filled up my entire pad and soon I would need another one. The only problem was where? Dimitri never told me if the castle had an art room and I was beginning to wonder if I could even find one.
"Good evening Carmen". The familiar deep voice greeted me from the shadows. I turned my attention to the dark figure coming from the stairs. Allastor stood at the top of the stairs.
"I'm sorry if I am interrupting you. I can leave if you wish-"
"No no please stay. This is your castle after all. I'm pretty sure you don't need permission from me to go where were you please". I stated. He slowly descended the stairs and as he neared me I gazed up at his eyes and saw that some sadness that I had seen when I first met him.
"As you wish". He replied as we both walked side by side over to the fire place. I sat back down in the arm chair as he continued to stand next to me.
"Mrs. Evenson and Dimitri told me that you don't leave your room that much. Why?"
Allastor sighed and turned his glance away from mine. I put my hands up.
"You don't have to answer that if you don't want to I'm just curious".
"I'm a beast Carmen. I've been damned by an angel to look like this for the rest of my life. I can not bare to have others to see me.."
He sighed and looked down at his claws. "To see me like this". He pulled his hands back under his red cloak. He was truly alone with no one to care for him.
"My mother once told me that beauty was within a person and not based on how they looked". I explained to him and it was true. As a child growing up my mother told me to never judge a person based on their looks for there were those that could not help what they looked like. She also told me that love was measured by actions and sacrifices.
"She only said that because she was beautiful I'm sure". Allastor stated. I shook my head.
"My mom said it because it is true. She married my father not because of his looks, but because of his kind heart. He showed her that there was more to this world then just a pretty face". I told him. He glanced back up at me and I met his gaze.
"Your mother sounds like a wonderful women". Allastor spoke. I smiled and glanced down at my sketch of her that my father had drawn for me.
"She was. She had a kind spirit and a good heart". I said sliding it back into my pad.
"You miss her". He hinted at. I nodded my head and pulled my hair in front of my chest. Then I began to twist it.
"Everyday of my life".
"I should be going". Allastor replied. As he turned to leave I reached out and grabbed a hold of his cloak. I sighed and glanced up at his yellow eyes.
"Will I see you tomorrow?" I questioned him. He turned his gaze away from mine.
"Only if you want to see me tomorrow".
"I do". I stated without hesitation. Allastor bowed his head then he floated back up the steps to his room. I smiled a small grin and began to sketch the eyes of man who was my master.