Chapter 18: I'll Do What I have To Do

Start from the beginning

"Hey." I said announcing my presence.

"Hey, Ellie, I wanted to show you something cool I found." He sounded nervous.
"Okay." I sat my food down.
"Here follow me." He was acting so weird, but it's probably just because he's in a new place. 
"Okay." I was so intent on watching where he was leading me that I didn't notice Grace slip up to our table. 
We got to find someone waiting for us. 
"You make me sick, Adam." Mack said as we approached her. "After everything." 
"What are you talking about?" I demanded. 
"Don't listen to her." Adam urged. "She's nothing but a liar." 
She laughed bitterly. "I'm not the liar here."
I shrugged. "What do you even want, Mack." I went to take a sip of my water bottle. 
"Ellie, don't" Mack stopped me before the bottle could touch my lips. "Please don't drink that." Tears clouded her crystal blue eyes.
"Why not?" 
"Yeah, why not?" Adam agreed. "Just drink it. I'm sure she's just trying to cause trouble." He went to tip the water bottle to make me drink it, to which I raised an eyebrow.
I nodded, and started to take a sip again when Mack snatched it from me, downing half the continent. As she did I was a pouter substance at the bottom. 
"What the heck, Mack!" Grace came out of the shadows, looking pretty angry. 
"That little witch tricked us." Adam gasped. "I guess you can't trust anyone." 
"There's still a little in the vile if you can hold her I can get it in her mouth." Grace said calming down a little. 
Adam shrugged, grabbing one of my arms. "Why not." 
"What are you two doing?" I questioned.
"We don't like this new Ellie and neither does Jasper so we made a deal." Adam stated. He sounds so different so cold. 
"You hated the old me." I tried to get loose of his grip but it was no use. I turned my attention to Mack.
She was gripping the table with one hand and her head with the other. She looked in so much pain right now.
"What'd she drink?" 
"Oh just a cocktail of enough drugs to make her OD on." Grace said with a giggle. "Serves her right."
"But-"
"Shush, Eleanor, don't ask anymore questions." Adam sternly said. "It would have made you OD, but Mack never did drugs." His grip tightened as he pushed me closer to Grace. "Because of her poor addict mother who's spending her life in jail for using them." He added with a chuckle.
"So pathetic." Grace looked pitifully at Mack then stalked over to where he held me. "Now be a good girl and open your mouth."
I shook my head, pressing me lips together.
"Leave... her...alone." Mack choked out from behind us.
Her only response was a evil laugh from both of them. 
Grace placed the vile at my lips and smiled. "One taste and you'll be ours again." She began to force it into my mouth but before she could Adam's grip slackened on my arms allowing me to get free and push her away. 
"Not today." I mumbled. 
Adam cried out causing us both to look toward him. He was bleed from a..... a gun shot? Who shot him? 
"Adam!" Grace ran over to him, falling down beside him. "Call 911." She told me. 
I shook my head. "Why should I?" I walked over to where Mack sat slumped over. She had her head in her hands, and beside her lie a gun. 
"Mack." I sled to the ground beside her. "Mack, look at me, please." In the distance I could here people coming. I shook her again then realized this was it she was dying all to save a girl who left her. "Mack, stay with me, okay." I pleaded. "Please, stay with me." 
Jack, Alex, and Rafe appeared moments later.
"Jesus. " Rafe gasped, looking at the scene.
I didn't move out of fear Mack might worsen. "Call an ambulance." I said to no one in particular. 

......  

Jack and I had been waiting at the hospital for forever when a doctor finally came out. "Are any of you related to the patient?" He asked.
"I'm her sister, you can talk to me." I lied and stood up. "How is she?"
The doctor sighed. "She's alive. We managed to pump the drugs out of her system." He paused. "There were seven different drugs in her system." He looked as if he might ask why, but then changed his mind. "She's awake, but very weak so be careful."
"So we can go see her?" I questioned eagerly.
The doctor nodded. "Go on."
I took off down the hallway, stopping at her room. I opened the door and watched her for a second. Mack laid still in her bed, her eyes closed as she rested. Not wanting to disturb, I sat down in the chair beside her bed.
"Hey." She said weakly, turning slightly to see me.
"Hi." I smiled. "You almost died for me. Why, Mack."
"I couldn't let them hurt you, Ellie." She closed her eyes for a second then opened them again. "You are my best friend and you always have been. I couldn't watch you go back to being her. Go back to doing Jasper's very whim and will. I just couldn't."
I grabbed her hand. "You've always been the only one there for me." I said. "I don't ever want to lose you."
"Did I... Did I kill him?" She shakily got out.
"Yeah, Mack, you did. Adam's dead, and jasper is going to jail." I told her, squeezing her hand. "But that's already because you're alive." 
Someone knocked on the door. Jack stood in the doorway, but he didn't stand alone my friends stood with with. "Would you like five more visitors?" Jack asked. 
"I'd love 'em." Mack said with a small smile. 
We all spent the rest of the night in her hospital room telling stories and joking around. That night we formed a tight group of friends. 

###########################################
That's the end, guys. Book 1 is over. I may post a epilogue but I don't think I will. 
The sequel is up and the first chapter will be up next weekend, if not sooner. I promise the sequel will be 10x better for I was just setting up the story in this one.
Bye guys, I hope you enjoyed this book and you stick around for the next one. 
Tell me what you thought about this and what you want to see happen next.
Love you guys - Izzy <3