Chapter 8

I was lying on Magnus' bed watching him work out a algebraic  problem. "Negative 6 times positive 9 times X divided by Y over 2 equals." I read off the next problem. He found the answer in two seconds flat. "I hate you." I joked, slamming the book closed. 

"I thought I was your best friend?' He asked fake sadden in his voice. 
"You know I wasn't talking about you." I laughed and got off the bed. "I could never hate you, Duckie."
"Good thing, cause, Andy, I gotta tell you something." He sighed, turning to me. He looked really serious. I nod as if telling him go on. "I faked the answer to the problem."
I slapped his arm. "I knew it!" 
"I'm sorry."

"It's-" A sharp pain in my side cut me off. 
"Ellie, you alright?" 
I nod not seeming to find the words to speak. Another sharp pain hits me, causing me to fall. I catch the desk stabilizing myself.

"Ellie?" Magnus questioned, his voice rising in alarm.
"My phone." I manage to get out.
"Huh?"
"My phone, Mag." I began. "Hand me my phone."
"Do I need to call someone? You're scaring me."
"I'm fine I just need my phone." I said through gritted teeth. It hurt like heck for no reason.
Magnus nodded and got my phone from my bag. "Here ya go."
I grabbed it from him, dialing before quickly putting it to my ear. It began to ring.
"This is Jasper sorry I'm not around right now leave a message and I'll get back to you." His voicemail.
I sighed, hung up, and dialed a different number. It went straight to voicemail: "Hi you've reached KaiLeigh I'm currently unavailable but leave a message."
I sighed again in frustration. My phone began to ring, and the pain vanished just as fast as it'd come. Jerica was calling.
"Hello?" 
"Ellie, hi, um, Mom just got a call from your parents and she really needs to speak to you so I you could head home."
"I'll be there in a minute." I hung up. "I've gotta go, Mag, I'll explain what's happening later." I grabbed my bag and left.

.........

The minute I walked through the door Janna was there. She silently led me to the kitchen where Jane and Jerica sat quietly. 
"Eleanor, I'm glad you're here." Jane got up and hugged me.
"What's wrong?" I already knew the answer. 
"I'm afraid you are going to have to go back to America." She sighed. "Your brother's been put in the hospital. He was shot at school." 
I took a seat.I assumed this, but hearing it broke me. Jerica immediately pulled me into a tight hug.
"You can, of course, come back." Janna said, hopping onto my lap and hugging me. "We're not kicking you out or anything."
I smiled. "I know, munchkin, I'll come back, I promise."
"And Jerica can go with you if you want so you're not alone." Jane offered.
"I'd like that." I said, fighting back tears.