Chapter 7

"Hey, sleeping beauty, we're here." Ryan's voice, not really the voice I want to hear the moment I wake up, shakes me from my slumber.

"Uh huh," I say, rubbing my eyes and yawning. I stretch my arms and take a look at my surroundings. We're parked outside a place called Josie's Diner. It's on the quieter side of town with trees surround the place. There are some other cars in the parking lot but for the most part it's empty.

"Let's go inside," Evan says, opening the car door. Ryan gets out too and pretends like he's gonna open the door for me but then shoots me a grin and walks away.

"Jerk," I mumble, getting out too. Evan and I walk side by side while Ryan walks ahead of us. We enter through the door and I immediately fall in love with the place. The walls are painted pastel pink and blue and one wall is made of glass. It gives a view of the trees outside and there's even a little pond in the lawn beside the diner which can be seen through the transparent glass. There's also music playing in the diner.

"This place is so cute," I speak in awe and walk over to one of the tables beside the glass wall. Evan and Ryan sit across from me.

"It's my favorite place to eat. The food's amazing too." He smiles at me.

"Literally the only thing I'm here for," Ryan says, opening the menu.

Evan frowns at him. ''You're here because you're my bodyguard."

''That's what you think,'' Ryan snorts.

I look through the menu and finally decide on a zinger burger and large fries. Just then, the waitress comes to take our order.

She sends Evan a pleasant smile. "Hi, Evan. What would you guys like to order?"

I'm surprised by her behaviour. This girl knows Evan yet she's not fawning over him like every other girl I've seen do. I decide to ask Evan about it later.

Ryan orders pasta while Evan and I order the same thing. She notes it down and then tells us it'll be ready in 10 minutes before walking away.

''How come that girl wasn't even a bit surprised to see you here?" I ask Evan.

Before he can answer, Ryan chooses to bestow me with a response. ''I hate to break it to you but not everyone can be like you and faint the moment they see Evan."

Him and Evan share an amused glance at the memory. "Shut up, Ryan," I scowl at him.

''Actually, I come here often and she's used to seeing me, that's why," Evan answers my question.

''What school did you go to before?" I ask him. Now's as good a chance as any to ask him about his life. Besides someone's got to talk and it can't be Ryan because he's an idiot.

''I was homeschooled for two years ever since I joined the show. It clashed with my shooting time and my grades were dropping because most days I missed school,'' Evan says.

''So what made you join one now? I mean, the show's still going on.''

''Geez, what is this? 'An interview with Evan'?'' Ryan remarks but I ignore him.

''I'm done shooting for this season so I'm on a break for two months. I kind of missed the vibe of school so I decided to join one."

"Oh," I say, taking in all the information. Our food arrives at that moment and the aroma is mouth watering. I hungrily take a bite of my burger, savouring the moment.

''Fatso,'' Ryan coughs. I flip him the finger, which I later realize is covered in mayonnaise. I know he only means it as a joke so I don't take offence.

''You have a little mayo on your chin," Evan says. He goes to clean it but Ryan slaps his hand away.

''Dude, this isn't some cheesy chick flick going on here. She can remove it herself," he says to Evan. Evan huffs and goes back to eating his burger.

But my heart's not in the conversation anymore because my mind is now flooded with the memories I've tried so hard to forget. Him sitting across from me at some other restaurant. Him making promises about never leaving me. Him leaving me without a reason. Sadness engulfs me and I try to fight back the tears.

''Penny for your thoughts?'' Evan's voice snaps me back to reality.

''Her thoughts aren't that cheap." Ryan thinks for a moment. ''On second thought, they probably are.''

Evan punches him in the arm. ''Why do you look sad all of a sudden? 'Cause if it's because of Ryan, I can kick him out."

"Hey!" Ryan protests.

Why does he have to be so observant? I force a smile on my face. ''It's nothing.''

''It's not nothing. You can tell me,'' Evan says. Damn him for being so sweet.

''I was just reminded of my ex-boyfriend." I say it before I can stop myself. You really need to learn how to shut your mouth, Arya.

''Oh. What happened between you two?'' He asks curiously.

''It's a long story," I sigh.

''We have time. Just let me order some popcorn,'' Ryan says. I send him a withering glare and that shuts him up.

''I think it's gonna make you feel better if you open up,'' Evan says gently.

''Okay. I met this guy. He was sweet, funny, charming and all that. The first time we talked, he literally said he likes me. Eventually I fell for him and he told me he loves me more than anything in the world. He said he couldn't live without me and that he would never leave me. I was so naive I fell for it. We were in a relationship for about 3 years before he broke up without giving me a reason. I mean who does that?'' I finally finish, taking a deep breath.

''What a jerk," Ryan scoffs, banging his fist on the table. I didn't realize he was so into the story.

''The way I see it, you can either let that make you or break you. You can choose to learn from it or let it ruin your life. And despite not knowing you for very, I know you're a strong girl. Also, don't let it ruin your trust in love," Evan says in a serious tone, staring at me. Ryan nodded along with everything he said.

Coming from Evan, it meant a lot to me. I knew he was right. I couldn't just let one person, who wasn't even worth it, ruin my life. I just had to learn not to trust someone that easily.

''Thank you,'' I say, sincerely, smiling at him.