Two: The Tattoo Debut

A/N: You may notice a few cameos in this chapter.

Enjoy, quirkykids <3

She awoke to the sound of yelling. Her head was already pounding, and the sound just made it forty times worse.

"What did you do with him?!" one voice screeched accusingly.

"Who are you?"

"Where did you come from?"

"How did you even get in here?"

Then, in the midst of it all, a voice she knew. She didn't love the voice- she could barely tolerate it at the best of times- but now it brought some kind of weird sense of relief; it was the only voice she recognised amongst the commotion.

"We don't know! Alright? We don't know anything about how we got here- all we know is that we fell asleep in a complex with a group of boys, and woke up in here with you."

Teresa could always be counted on to lie through her teeth. It was rarely useful, but right now, Trace appreciated it.

She really, really didn't want to, but Trace decided now would be a good time to get up. She wriggled a little in preparation.

"She's waking up!"

Wow these girls were smart.

Trace squinted an eye open, wincing at the bright light filtering in. She could make out the vague structure of the bunk bed above her through her blurry, sleep-filled vision. With a sigh, she opened her other eye and rolled over to face the rest of the room.

"Hello."

"Oh my shucking-" Trace jumped about a foot in the air at what greeted her. A girl's face, mere centimetres from hers, flanked by about a dozen others behind her. "Haven't you heard of personal space?" She groaned, rubbing her head. "Who got me drunk? Because I feel shucking hungover."

But the girl paid no attention, instead deciding to fire off a round of questions in quick succession. "What are you doing here? What's your name? How did you get here? Is your hair naturally that colour?"

Trace must've looked more than a little overwhelmed, because that was the moment Harriet decided to step forward and introduce herself.

"I'm Harriet," she said. "This is Charlene, and over here's Sonya." She gestured first to the girl who'd asked all the questions, and then to the beautiful blonde girl standing beside her. Trace's heart clenched in her chest. Sonya looked so much like Newt.

She caught Teresa's eye from across the room, who gave her a quick shake of the head to say 'don't give it away'. Trace knew she was right; she couldn't tell Sonya she had a brother- not until she could promise to save him. Trace definitely couldn't do that yet.

So, with some stupid, ridiculous twist of fate, she found herself doing what Teresa wanted.

Gross.

She'd have to make up for this somehow.

"What's your name?" Harriet asked, her eyes seeming to drill right through into Trace's soul. Somehow, Trace still admired her. Harriet was a really interesting character, and one Trace had really wanted to get to know throughout the series. Now she had the chance.

"Ava. Her name is Ava."

They all turned to look at Teresa, wondering why she was the one to answer the question. Trace wanted to ask the same exact thing; she could speak for herself.