Six

“Urh, shut up.” I groaned at my alarm clock. I sat up and looked at my bedroom floor. The contents of my bag was spread out across the room. I picked it up while remembering what had happened that morning;

It was six-fifty by the time I got home. Dad was going to get up for work soon so I had to find a way to get into the house without waking him and before his alarm clock woke him up, so I slowly pushed the keys into the key hole and turned it gently. I was in; I started tip-toeing up the stairs, being careful of my every move. I got to the top of the stairs. Beep. Dad’s alarm clock went off. I hurled myself at my bedroom door, gently closed it and slid into bed without getting changed. I had to get up forty five minutes later, but luckily I fell asleep quickly enough.

I practically sleep-walked around the house to get ready to go to school. When I got there it was boring. I still wasn’t talking to ‘my friends’ but to be honest I didn’t really care. They had never cared about me. The day was long and tiring but I got through it.

When I got home I cooked some extra food for Indy just like I had the day before. This time dinner was pasta with a tomato sauce. I went to bed at eight o’clock but before I got a water bottle, filled it up and put it in my bag along with the pasta, torch, cream, a bag of crisps, some money, and my phone. I hid the bag under the jumper I was going to wear so I could just grab everything and go.

That’s what I did at 1am: I woke up, grabbed my bag and jumper and climbed out my window. When I got there, Indy was already sitting on the end of the jetty.

“Good morning.” I greeted her.

“Hello Lily.” She replied.

“Did you sleep well?” I asked.

“Yep…well it was alright.” She sighed.

“I can’t sleep well either.” I assured her.

Indy was holding a scrappy piece of paper in her hand but on the paper was this beautiful drawing of the lake and the jetty.

“Indy, where did you get that?” I pointed to the paper.

“What do you mean?” she looked confused.

“That bit of paper.”

“Under the bed in my room.” She told me.

“No, I mean the drawing.” I clarified.

“Oh right, I drew it. It’s for you actually.” She smiled.

“You drew…that!?” I was shocked; it was incredible. Indy was nine years old and she drew that!

“Umm… yes. And...?” she was talking like it was just a common drawing.

“Indy, you have a great talent. That drawing is amazing!” I congratulated her.

“Can’t you draw like that?” she asked.

“No, not many people can, and at such a young age...! Well done!”

“Thanks I guess.” She handed it to me.

“Are you not going to sign it?” I asked

“I don’t have a signature.” She told me.

“Well let’s make one.”

I asked her what her surname was, which was Timmons, so her signature had to say ‘Itimmons’ in curly writing. Indy made her signature and put it in the corner of her picture.

“Indy, can you draw me?” I asked

“If you want, but I don’t have any paper.” She sighed.

I put my hand into my bag and pulled out a sheet of paper.

“I only have one so don’t go wrong.” I warned her.

She placed me on the end of the jetty and took a few paces back. When she was drawing me, I sat still making sure I didn’t move too much, just in case the part I moved was the part she was drawing. After a while I needed sneeze.

“Indy…I need to…ahchoo.” I sneezed.

“Oh Lily!” she exclaimed.

“Sorry!” I apologised.

“Its fine, I am almost finished anyway.” She laughed.

A few seconds later she walked over to me and gave me the paper with this amazing picture. Some parts were a bit out of proportion but it’s expected from a nine year old.

“Thank you so much, this is very good.” I complimented her. I put the picture safely in my bag.

“I almost forgot, I made you some dinner.” I handed her the pasta.

“Thank you, I am really hungry.” She ate up the pasta. Now I had given Indy food, which was my talent, and she had given me two drawings which was her talent. I couldn’t help but admire her lovely blonde hair; it was always down. I think it was because she didn’t have anyone to style it for her - I asked her if I could do something with her hair.

Her reply was “yes, if you want.  I never know what to do with it.”

I split her hair into two and plaited two neat French braids, then brought them forward so they shaped round her face.

“Beautiful!” I began. Indy went pink.

“Thanks.” she quietly said.

“You look so cute!” I carried on. I think Indy was a bit embarrassed. I may have gone a little bit too far with the complements, so I stopped. A few minutes of silence passed.

“I have to be back when the sun rises again.” I yawned.

“Okay, well then we will go soon.” Indy suggested.

“Yep, is your scarf keeping you warm?” I asked.

“It is, I love it.” A warm smile spread on her mouth.

Indy and I started walking back home. I walked her to the corner of the road that the shelter was on, then said goodbye. I wondered back to my house. I needed to get back into the house again. I turned the key and opened the door, then slowly shut it again. I got changed this time because it wasn’t that comfortable in my clothes last night. My pyjamas would have been much better. I set my alarm clock for eight o’clock and lied down for sleep.