Chapter fifteen

Deborah's Point of View

We sat down in the living room. Jesse and I sat down on the couch and mother sat down in a chair across from the couch. She looked as stiff as a board and very distant. And had that look on her face I didn't like. There was two faces I never liked that she gave me whenever I deserved it. The 'I'm beyond angry with you' look and the 'I'm not mad just really really disappointed in you'. But it seems like she had managed to mix those two facial expressions together into one that gave the impression of 'I'm both beyond angry with and disappointed in you' look.

There was an uncomfortable, intense silence in the room that wasn't helping the situation either. Even though silence isn't a physical thing, it's putting pressure on my chest which makes it difficult to breathe.

I sat as far away from Jesse as possible even though I just wanted to be wrapped up in his arms right now. But I knew it would cause my mother to be more distant and upset than she already is and I don't like it when my mother being upset with me.

"I can't believe you went against my orders." Mother said, breaking the most likely only ten minute long, but felt like an eternity, silence. I didn't respond to what she said and just looked down. I could feel Jesse's eyes looking at me but I chose to ignore the fact he was looking at me. "What is she talking about?" Jesse asked me.

When I didn't answer, I could see out of the corner of my eye Jesse was getting a little impatient. "Deborah?" He asked. He sounded desperate. "I told her she couldn't see you anymore and to put her pack first. But it's obvious she went against me." Mother said. "You don't understand, mother." I choked, but still manage to spat out. I didn't look up. "Excuse me? Is that any way to talk to-" "Shut up mother. For two freaking seconds." I cried out as I popped my head back up to look at her. She shut her mouth in a tight line.

"First you tell me to find my mate and when I do, you freaking tell me I can't see him anymore! So what he's from somewhere else? Who cares if it's different? If it's rarely ever heard of? Shit, mom.. You and dad were from different packs when you found each other. How is this any different?!" I cried. I was so overwhelmed with emotions that I couldn't stop from crying. I gripped my own arms to stop my body from shaking more than it was. "Is it some type of punishment you're trying? Are you thinking 'let's see how far I can push Deborah until she makes a stupid mistake?' Or some shit?"

Mother's face didn't change but I quickly glanced over at Jesse and his face had a shocked look. "I just didn't want you to make the same mistake I did." Mother said. Her body slacked slightly but not a lot. "I just didn't want the same thing to happen again." She said. "This is different mom! It's 2 and a half dec-" "My brother died." Jesse said out of the blue.

Both mother and I looked at him. "What?" Mother questioned. Jesse started to tear up. "This morning. A family friend, well not really one anymore, killed him. The one who killed my brother was the beta of our pack." He said. Tears started to stream down his face but he just kept a straight face. I scooted over to him and took his face into my hands but he quickly moved his face away. "Jesse..." I whispered. He gave me a saddened look but looked at my mom.

"I have no one now, Mrs. Melendez, except for Deborah. Both of my parents are gone and now the best friend I had my whole life is gone too. What is done, is done. Deborah and I mated and you can't stop us from ever seeing each other. No matter what you say."

I could tell by the look on mother's face that she was just as shocked as I was to hear this. I grabbed Jesse's hand and kissed the back of it. So that's why I woke up in pain this morning... I thought to myself. Jesse lost his only family.. Jesse didn't pull his hand away from me. Instead, he gripped my hand more.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that." Mother said but she didn't sound like she had sympathy in her voice. I looked up at her. She had uncertainty and doubt in her eyes. Like she didn't want to believe Jesse's story. But I know deep down she does and she feels bad for him. "Mother... remember when... when dad died?" I asked slowly, trying to choose my words carefully.

She winced when I said 'died' and looked down. "Like it was yesterday..." She mumbled. "I remember you were talking to an elder at the time when... he left us... about how you felt empty." I told her.

The memory of it washed over me. It was later that day and mother had put me to bed. I couldn't sleep because of what happened so I got out of bed and started for the kitchen to get some water but over heard my mother talking with a lady who I had soon later to know it was one of the pack's elders. Mother was sobbing into her hands.

"I feel so empty now. Like my whole world was stripped away from me." Mother cried. The lady set a hand on mothers shoulder. "I get you feel like that. But you still have your daughter." The lady said. "She's the only one I have now." Mother stuttered.

Mother looked at me with pain in her eyes and etched all over her face. "How did you know I talked to her? I thought I had put you to bed that night..."

I nodded. "You did. But I couldn't sleep. Dad's death affected me too. But I remember hearing you saying that you felt like you had no one left except for me. Don't you think that's how Jesse's feeling right now? I can tell you're doubting that." I said. She looked away. I knew she understood, that she knew Jesse felt the same but I could sense something.

"Mother, you wouldn't loose me." I told her quietly. "I will always be your daughter. But it is time for me to grow up a little bit. Remember what you always told me on my birthday when I was younger? That since I was a year older, I could spread my wings a bit."

I set my other hand on Jesse's arm and lightly set my head on his shoulder. "This is just me spreading my wings a bit." I told her.

She looked Jesse dead in the eye. "Out." She said simply. My heart squeezed and I started to feel panic. "Mom?" I questioned. "I don't care if your brother died and I don't care if you and my daughter mated. She still belongs in this house and she still belongs to this pack. You will leave my house now and never come back."

"Enough!" I cried and stood up. Her body tensed again as she glared at me. Tears streamed my eyes as I ran out of the house and as far away as I possibly could.