Packing Partnership

Moving to another state is a very involved ordeal. With all the chaos taking place around you, sometimes you forget what your ultimate goal is. The key to a smooth transition between houses is a well-organized packing system.

Because we are closing on the house in 5 weeks, we will own it relatively soon. But, I will live in my current house for a little over a year more. So, this means that I can begin moving things there!

My current packing system features two sizes of boxes, small and medium. Every box I pack has been labeled with my name, the contents, and anything else the person carrying it might need to know (i.e. fragile). In the small boxes, I pack small things, like stuffed animals, trinkets, art supplies, and jewelry. In the larger boxes, I pack larger things, like books, notebooks, games, and art. 

You know that suitcase your mom gave you for travel? Pack it full of clothes. Make sure to leave out two extra outfits for when you are on the road, and for the first day of being in your new home. Do not waste any suitcase room. An empty suitcase is a waste of space. 

If you gave a file cabinet, don't pack it. File cabinets are metal monsters, and they can get very heavy very fast. Also, things like lotions and other squeezable things are better on top, because they  can get squished and explode.

I am excited to start packing, but it also cements the move, and says that we are definitely moving. I don't really want to move. I will have to start all over, make new friends, and try to live a normal life, all the while missing my old friends.

That's where the partner part comes in. Invite one of your friends to come over and help you pack! You get to spend more time with them, and you get twice the amount of work done! 

I know firsthand that the packing element of moving can be very ugly, but at the same time, while you are cleaning things out and packing up, you get to find long-lost things and remember the good times. (Also, it's a good spring cleaning project. Along the way you will find things that you don't need, and you will donate/sell/give them away.)

Whenever you are packing, its better to have a partner than nothing.