Chapter 12

Hey guys!

Sorry for the long wait, had to keep my grades up, you know?

Anywho… Here you go.

Enjoy!

-Meenah

Ryuu sat humming quietly as Tsubaki brushed his hair. It was currently ten o’ two p.m. and Ryuu was all ready for bed. His pajamas were on, he had taken a shower, all that was left was to brush out the tangles in his hair, and crawl in bed.

“Tsubaki,” the younger boy asked, kicking his legs back and forth, clutching a black pillow from his bed.

“Yes Roo?”

“Do you still love mom?”

The question made Tsubaki freeze. After a minute, he continued brushing Ryuu’s hair. It was silent for a few more seconds before Tsubaki let out a sigh.

“I love the mom that took care of you,” the third year finally replied.

“What does that mean? Don’t you love her now,” Ryuu asked, more confused than ever.

“Do you want me to lie to you?”

Ryuu’s legs stopped kicking. His eyebrows creased and his mouth slashed down on the left side in a frown. Why would Tsubaki lie? He didn’t have a reason to.

“I’d prefer it if you didn’t.”

The usual child like persona Ryuu had vanished, and in place was the serious Ryuu, which meant Tsubaki wouldn’t be able to leave until Ryuu’s curiosity was killed.

“Mom has never loved me. And for a long time I tried so hard to make her at least like me. And then you came along, and you made her the happiest I’d ever seen her. Then you took a liking to me, and things went down hill from there. I love the mom that took care of you and loved you, because she never loved me. She’s a different person now, I’m sure you’ve noticed that. And you can still love her now, but I won’t.”

Telling Ryuu the truth was both easier and harder to do than Tsubaki thought. Ryuu’s such a fragile soul, Tsubaki was pretty sure telling him the whole truth would kill his heart. So he left things out.

“Is that a lie,” Ryuu asked, feeling as though something was amiss.

“No,” was the answer.

“But it’s not the truth,” Ryuu stated.

“It’s the truth that you’re ready for,” Tsubaki corrected.

“I’m not eight years old anymore Tsubaki,” Ryuu said, becoming frustrated.

Tsubaki quickly tied off the long braid he had plaited Ryuu’s hair into and walked around the chair. He squatted in front of Ryuu and looked up into his eyes.

“There is always going to be something you’re not ready to hear Ryuu. All I want is for you to be happy, so I won’t tell you. Not yet,” Tsubaki said quietly. Ryuu believed what Tsubaki had said; he had years of Tsubaki caring for him as proof.

Ryuu was contemplating something; Tsubaki could see it in his eyes.

“Just one more question… does she love me still,” The younger boy finally asked.

“I don’t know,” Tsubaki answered honestly. The woman that had birthed him was known to be conniving and devious. She could have ulterior motives, schemes, or plans, revolving around Ryuu.

“Well that’s okay,” Ryuu said standing up, his serious side fading. He set the pillow down on the floor as Tsubaki stood up.

“I have you to love me,” Ryuu finished, pulling his brother into a hug.

“Always, now let’s get you into bed,” Tsubaki said, picking up Ryuu and carrying him over the bed, then tossing him onto it. Ryuu giggled as he flew through the air and landed sprawled on the left side of his bed. He quickly scrambled under the covers and laid down, drowsiness suddenly hitting him.

“Goodnight Kiki,” Ryuu said through a yawn.

Tsubaki walked to the door and flicked off the light before replying.

“Goodnight Roo.”

Tsubaki was looking forward to club today. The conversation with Ryuu last night had been on his mind since it happened. At least it was better than thinking about when he had actually fallen in love.

 As he opened the door to Music room three Tsubaki was blinded by a white light, and rose petals swirled around him, landing on his jacket and in his wavy tresses that were held away from his face with a periwinkle bar barrette.

“Hey guys,” He greeted walking in and putting his bag in his designated cubby, before sitting down and pulling the petals out of his hair. When he looked up the hosts were staring at him.

“What,” Tsubaki asked, slightly unnerved at the five people staring at him.

“Your hair,” said Hikaru twirling a strand around his index finger

“It’s wavy today,” Karou concluded, voicing the club’s observation.

“Yeah. I woke up early today so I let it air dry instead of blow drying it straight. Wait, why didn’t you notice a lunch,” Tsubaki asked suscipiciously. The twins shrugged and walked away, doing whatever to mischievous twins do to get ready for club. Tsubaki poured himself a cup of tea, as Kyouya said,

“Due to the votes of a recent poll on our website, we are hosting in pairs today,” Kyouya said catching everybody’s attention.

“Tamaki and I are a pair, Haruhi and Tsubaki, Hikaru and Karou, and Hani- senpai and Mori-senpai. Doors open in five minutes, so get ready,” he concluded sitting on Tamaki’s usual couch. Tsubaki walked over to the table where Haruhi was doing her homework, tea in hand. Tsubaki sat down next to the girl, watching as she scribbled out answers in her neat hand writing.

“Number seven is wrong,” Tsubaki said, startling Haruhi, and making her jump.

“Wha- Tsubaki! Don’t scare me like that! And what do you mean it’s wrong,” Haruhi said, her voice half an octave higher.

“You forgot to carry the two,” Tsubaki said pointing out her mistake.

“Oh… thanks,” Haruhi said gratefully, quickly fixing the problem. Tsubaki didn’t reply. He just sipped his tea. As their first round of guests walked over to the table, he greeted them with a smile and the hosting began.

Two hours later Ryuu came waltzing into the club room and straight to his older brother. Tsubaki turned to look at who had come to stand beside him.

“Hi Kiki,” Ryuu chirped.

“Hey munchkin. Where’ve you been,” Tsubaki asked, angling his body to face his little brother.

“Mizu and I were playing basketball,” Ryuu grinned, sitting down on Tsubaki’s lap.

“I made this awesome half court shot, and you should have seen Mizu’s face, it was stuck like this- and then,” Ryuu continued to rant about his game with Mizu as Tsubaki listened, genuinely interested in what his brother was saying. The six girls sitting on the opposite side of the table found this endearing, and quietly ‘awwww’ed at the two hosts and the younger boy. The moment was picture perfect; Ryuu was animatedly talking, Tsubaki was smiling at his brother, and Haruhi was laughing at the face Ryuu had made.

It was in this moment that Tsubaki felt fine. He felt normal. He felt like he could finally… Just forget.