Chapter 10

Dinner was surprisingly pleasant, company wise, being that two younger boys were sharing a meal with them as well. As soon as the two older boys were once again in Tsubaki’s room, seated on a couch, Kyouya at one end and Tsubaki at the other, Kyouya again started asking questions.
“What exactly does your father do?”
Tsubaki was silent for a minute.
“You’re not being a very good friend kyouya,” he stated, shocking Kyouya into a silence and successfully avoiding the question. He finally inquired what the older boy meant.
“Friends don’t interrogate each other. Good friends occasionally ask a question. Better friends are observant and figure it out and only ask for confirmation. Tamaki is your best friend. Did you just read his file instead of asking him yourself?”
Tsubaki took Kyouya’s silence as a yes.
“Everything in a file could be correct, or it could be completely wrong, or even incomplete, but the person is more than words on a page. They are living breathing emotional people with personalities and feelings. It takes more to know a person than reading a file, or interrogating them until you get what you want. A friend waits until you’re ready to tell them those personal things about yourself.”
Kyouya, for the first time in a long time, felt illiterate. He didn’t know what to say, he didn’t have an explanation or witty response. He felt… he didn’t even know how he felt. It was silent for what seemed to be hours before Tsubaki spoke again.
“I know you like him. And I know, that you know, that he is in love with her, even if the idiot doesn’t know himself. I know you know that you won’t get what you want. But, I do know for sure that there is someone who looks at you the way he looks at her, someone who longs to be with you more than you want to be with him. And I want you to know that the sooner you realize that the sooner you’ll realize you could do so much better,” Tsubaki’s voice was soft, and soothing, and what he imagined his mother’s voice would sound like, only higher. He was astonished, not that Tsubaki knew one of his secrets, but that he had made sense of his feelings before he did. Kyouya had been previously baffled by how affected he had been by this “crush”. He sat straight faced for a minute before asking,
“How did you know?”
“How do I know anything? Kyouya I pay attention, not only to the words people say, but the way they say them, their body language. But in your case, the dead giveaway was that you let him be affectionate towards you, and you try to make him happy no matter what. That and the fact that you stared when you thought nobody was looking. “
“You figured it out before Fuyumi did. That’s a first,” Kyouya said trying to keep his cool. He was unnerved by Tsubaki’s presence now. All it had taken was a little slip, a crack. That was all that Tsubaki needed to worm his way in and tear his composure to shreds. It was terrifying.
“Fuyumi is your… sister,” Tsubaki guessed seeing the look in Kyouya’s eyes soften.
“Yes. She always knows when something is up, she very good a reading people.”
Tsubaki hummed in acknowledgement before saying,
“Your secret is safe with me, just so you know.”
Kyouya’s shoulders untensed and relief flooded through his body. Relief of what, he did not know.
“I wouldn’t ever tell. What kind of friend would I be if I gave all my friends secrets away,” Tsubaki asked with a chuckle effectively lighting the mood.
“You are very cunning Tsubaki. I don’t quite know if I like that.”
“Why? Afraid a little of competition,” Tsubaki light heartedly taunted. Kyouya looked at him, amusement in his eyes.
“I am never afraid of competition Tsubaki-sempai. Never.”
“Never?”
“Never,” Kyouya confirmed.
“Not ever?”
“Nope.”
“Well aren’t you cool,” Tsubaki snickered.
“I wouldn’t be the cool type if I wasn’t,” Kyouya pointed out playfully; well as playful as Kyouya could get.
Before either of the two host club members could say anything else, a certain pair of boys burst through the bedroom door, decked out in pajamas and armed with pillows and blankets.
“Hey guys,” Mizu chirped, his hair was splayed across his forehead and damp.
“Whatchya doin’,” Ryuu asked plopping on the floor in front of the couch with his friend. His hair was up in a ponytail and damp also. Tsubaki could tell form that and the subtle scent of soap that they had both taken showers.
“Just talking,” Tsubaki said.
“About what,” Mizu asked his eyes sparkling a bit.

“Nosey siblings Kyouya replied ruffling the boy’s hair and chuckling when he complained.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hours later all four boys were huddled on the couch watching the final movie in their marathon of horror. The younger boys were both asleep, and Tsubaki was intently watching the movie on the screen. Kyouya, no longer interested decided to observe the young boy curled up to his side. Sleeping his face was relaxed from his grin and he noticed a fan of long dark lashes.
“He reminds me of Tamaki.”
The voice had caused Kyouya’s head to snap up.
“Interestingly enough, I agree.”