Chapter 3

He scared and delighted her…

            The club was closed today for Tsubaki’s training. But as time wore on, it became obvious to everyone, excluding his trainer Tamaki, that he’d be at ease in the club.Haruhi was finished with her homework already, which was rare, so she was thinking about the trainee.

‘He’s certainly interesting’ she mused, remembering her conversation with him the previous day. After a couple minutes they warmed up to each other and Tsubaki had cracked a few jokes and used stupid pickup lines to break the ice further. He also offered to help her with her algebra home work, and advanced writing essay.

‘I believe we’ll all be great friends…’

        He was a pleasant addition to her crazy circle of friends; balancing the rational and insane. She chuckled to herself and turned to watch Tamaki “train” her new friend.

“Alright Tsubaki, great job serving tea! Now we must cover how you act with the ladies. Because I’m the prince type-“

“You must be the face of chivalry and kindness. But tell me prince, where is your knight in shining armor,” Tsubaki asked teasingly.

“Uh… I don’t need one.” It was obvious Tamaki was unsure of how to answer the question and probably shocked he had been asked that and his face of disbelief made Haruhi giggle quietly. Everyone was now completely focused on the senior and Idiotic blonde.

“That sounded like a question. Are you unsure? Or undecided to if you need one,” Tsubaki pressed, a curious expression on his face and mischief in his eyes. Tamaki was stunned into a silence for a moment then became a stuttering mess, trying to explain himself.

“If you’re in need of one then…”

        Tsubaki grabbed Tamaki’s chin in-between his left thumb and pointer- finger and leaned in real close so their noses were touching.

“I’ll be your knight in shining armor,” he whispered finishing his sentence and making Tamaki’s face, neck, and ears turn tomato red. Hikaru and Karou fell to floor laughing at Tamaki’s face and Tsubaki let him go and chuckled.

“Tamaki, you’re blushing,” he snickered with the twins.

“Woooooooow! Look, Takashi! Tama-Chan’s so red,” Hani exclaimed.

“Yeah, he is,” Mori replied. Tsubaki whipped his head to look at his fellow senior and muttered to himself.

‘Holy shit that is probably the sexiest thing I have ever heard. Is that bad? Oh his voice is deeper than mine. God damn imma have to get me him. Tsubaki shut up! You haven’t really even talked to him. Quit ruining my eye-candy’

“Hey Tamaki, is training over? I have stuff to do,” Tsubaki called.

“Yeah,” the prince replied dazedly.

“Sweet. Haruhi you ready to go?”

“Oh. Yeah, let me grab my bag from the back,” she replied 

        Tsubaki had been at Haruhi’s for an hour helping her with her essay. Writing was a weak point for Haruhi and Tsubaki was a great mentor, literature was his favorite subject after all. Sitting in her room editing her third draft, a thought struck her mind.

“So Tsubaki…”

“Yeah Haruhi,” he asked looking up from his homework.

“I want to know more about you,” she stated.

“Ever so blunt Haruhi,” he chuckled. “What exactly do you mean?”

“Well you’re a secretive person, by nature or on purpose I don’t know, so asking you about yourself seemed like the best option,” the brunette replied.

“Observant,” the senior noted. “Yes, I am secretive, but by nature not on purpose. And believe it or not, all of the club members are my only friends.”

“Really,” Haruhi asked, she was a bit shocked.

‘He’s so popular already though… why are we his only friends?’

“Why wouldn’t you guys be? You guys care about me and vice versa. I can tell,” he said quietly.

“That’s sweet,” Haruhi said, a bit touched to have been considered special by someone she met one day ago.

“Yes, it’s also off topic. What would you like to know?”

        That day Haruhi got more than she bargained for, Tsubaki had told her everything. He had told her that he felt the need to protect the people he loved, that he was keeping his brother from his father, that his mother was missing, that he was gay, that he had a crush on a certain club member (she had guessed who it was rather quickly), major things. He had also told her all the minor things that made him unique, the things that made him Tsubaki. Things like, his favorite food was tomatoes, he hated his nose, he liked crooked smiles, and that he loved the silence.

        By the time Tsubaki went home it was dark, and Haruhi knew everything she possibly could about her newest friend. She now realized the Tsubaki she assumed she knew and the Tsubaki she learned about today were two entirely different people. This Tsubaki carried the weight of the world on his lean shoulders; this Tsubaki had a love so fierce for everyone he held dear he’d die for them. This Tsubaki cared far too much for a mother that didn’t love him, he pined for attention from a father who pretended Tsubaki didn’t exist, he protected a brother who was oblivious to what went on at home, he blamed himself for everything wrong with everyone else. This Tsubaki thought that there was an unknown side to every person that was the opposite of what they are. This Tsubaki… this Tsubaki thought he was the devil, or at the very least, he thought he was a terrible person. And this Tsubaki… made her so confused, so sad, and so determined to make him see what a good person he is.

         By the time he left that night it was dark, and Haruhi knew he was the single most beautiful person she had ever met, inside and out.

And this scared and delighted her.