Chapter 25a

In the morning, I felt marginally better. My talk with Sember must have released at least one of my worries, because I wasn't plagued by nightmares of accidentally killing anyone anymore.

Nirrin waved me to her table when she saw me, face beaming with excitement. "Did you know you would come back a hero? Because you're a hero now. I'm so happy you're my friend."

Her exuberance garnered a few glances, and I reddened a little. "I'm no hero."

"Of course you are! Bren says you saved everybody. Isn't that what heroes do?"

"I guess. Um, have you seen Remi?"

"Not since yesterday. He told me not to bother you, that you wanted to be alone. I bet you were pretty tired, huh?"

I nodded as my eyes strayed away. I had expected him to show up last night, to see how I was doing. But this made more sense, especially considering how cold I'd been to him during the whole journey back. Why would anyone want to be around someone like that?

My chat with Nirrin over breakfast almost made me feel normal again. She filled me in on what went on in my absence, and for a moment, it was as if I'd never left.

"I have to go see Davin," she said when she'd finished eating. She swung her foot onto the table. "See the hole?" She wiggled her toes, and I could clearly see her big toe. "Bren says I need to get it fixed or the dirt is going to mix with sweat and make stinky mud. Gross. So I have to go." Her mouth twisted with reluctance. "But he's so scary. Can you come with me?"

I had hoped to put off seeing him and telling him what happened to Nily, but I smiled. "Of course. He won't bite, you know."

Her brow crinkled. "Are you sure about that?"

I laughed, and we headed toward Davin's work table.

His gray eyebrows were drawn in concentration when we found him, his hand surprisingly steady as he worked a leather cord around a shoe.

I waited until he'd knotted the ends before saying, "Hello, Davin."

He looked up, surprise lighting his eyes. "Siena! I'd heard you were back. It's good to see you."

He patted a stump, and I sat while Nirrin hid behind me, uncharacteristically quiet.

"I see you have a shadow today," Davin said, peering around me.

"Nirrin, tell him what you need." I gave her an encouraging smile.

"Um." She took a hesitant step forward and looked at me for support.

I stifled a smile and said to him, "She thinks you're going to bite her."

He turned his eyes on her, voice gruffer than usual. "Is that so?"

She flinched.

He nodded with approval. "Smart girl. Always be careful who you trust. Would you like to see my fangs?"

Her eyes widened, and she swiveled her head to me.

I chuckled and patted her back. "He's just having a little fun. He doesn't actually have fangs."

"That you know of," he said with a wink.

She looked from me to him. "O-okay. Um, here." She slipped her shoes off and handed them to him.

"Manners," I whispered.

Nirrin blinked, seeming to snap out of her stupor. "Oh! I'm sorry. Bren says I need to get this hole repaired. Can you please fix it?"

Davin gave her a wide smile. "Why, of course. How could I refuse such a polite young lady?"

Nirrin looked visibly relieved as he took her shoes and examined them.

"Well, here's your problem," he said, tapping the tip of one shoe. "Your toes are busting out! Shoes don't grow like girls do. I'll make you a new pair. How about that?"

Nirrin gaped. "You would?"

"I think it would be more enjoyable than biting you." He winked again.

"Thank you! I, um . . . thanks. You're not so bad." She grinned and ran off in her bare feet.

Davin grinned after her. "I was wondering when that kid would come around. Talks to everyone like they're her best friends, but somehow I'm a man-eating bear."

"You do have an interesting reputation."

He turned his curious eyes back on me. "Speaking of reputations, I heard you've earned one for yourself."

"Oh." I ducked my head and felt suddenly shy, perhaps undeserving. "I don't know about that."

He eyed me one last time before grunting and returning to his work. "People have a way of getting all worked up, don't they? Making stories bigger and bigger as they spread them around. Who's to say what's true and what's a fabrication? I say bah to all of it. Talk to the person. That's how you get to know them. Not through tall tales."

He paused his work and glanced up at me. "I'd wager you're the same girl now that you were before."

I shifted uncomfortably. "Some things have changed."

"Well, of course!" He looked down to slice a piece of leather. "It's called growing up."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he pointed the shoe at me, effectively shutting me up.

"You may learn things, experience things, but your spirit,"—he patted his chest with the shoe— "that does not change. I've been around long enough, seen enough people in my lifetime, to know this to be true. Trust me,"—he tapped my knee with the shoe—"you're the same sweet girl."

My face flushed and I stood up. "Thank you, Davin. I'll, um, leave you to your work."

I appreciate all your votes, thank you! Now go finish the chapter...