Chapter 7

2 months later

     I woke up to my phone alarm going off at full volume. I still haven't changed the ring tone of "Get Up Moron!" I really need to change it soon. I sit up and grab my phone off the night stand. It's 6:15 and Saturday. Way too early to be up. After I turn off the alarm, I put my phone on vibrate and lay back down.

     I relax and close my eyes, but I just sit there for about 20 minutes. Again? Why can't I just sleep it's Saturday for crying out loud!

     I get out of bed and get dressed. I put on jeans and a graphic t-shirt, and head downstairs. Dad is already up.

     "Well good morning sleeping beauty. Gonna take care of that mane of yours?" He gestured toward my hair with sly smile on his face. Taking the hair tie off my wrist, I put my hair up in a messy bun. I don't plan on doing anything today. 

     I walk towards the kitchen, and get a bowl of Lucky Charms. I sit down at the table and look at my social medias. I've accumulated over 300 followers in one day!! How? I've only posted one picture and that was a picture of my converse with some caption that I can't quite remember. I put down my phone and eat my cereal.

     I was about half way done when dad interrupted the silence between us.

     "Hey, I thought that maybe today you'd want to go out and take a walk out in the park today. So we can catch up on some stuff. If you're up for it."

     I shrugged. I finished up my bowl of Lucky Charms, and put away the dishes. I then remembered my run in with Henry.  I took out my hair tie again, and put my hair in a high pony tail. I did my makeup and switched my jeans for leggings. I put on my sandals, and went back downstairs.

     "Well I guess we changed our minds then?" Dad grabbed his house keys.

"You ready to go Jules?"

We headed out the door and started walking down to the park. The sun just rose, so it was slightly chilly. But it would warm up later. I stared down at the sidewalk, unsure of what to talk about.

Dad broke the awkward barrier between us. "So how are feeling about the whole situation? Uh, well I mean, the situation about me and your step mom getting divorced?

I looked up at dad surprised by the question. "Well if it makes you happy I'm okay. But, being honest, I am glad she's out of my life. But I miss Aubrey; I was supposed to see her today."

I take interest in a rock and start kicking it with the toe of my shoe as I walk on the sidewalk. A runner passes us. A few dogs bark, restaurants are opening up. The city is starting to wake up and function. I lost the rock a couple buildings back, so I just kept my eyes on the sidewalk. My phone dings at me; it's an unknown number, but a local one. There's a text message.

Unknown: Hi

I stare at it for a little bit, hesitant to answer, but curiosity gets the best of me and I reply.

Me: Hello, who is this?

Unknown: I saw you yesterday, surely you have to remember me.

Me: Well it could be anyone...

Unknown: I'm watching you.

I hesitated, and was about to block the number when I get another text.

Unknown: (Sorry, that sounded like I was stalking you.  Didn't mean to be creepy like that :)

Me: Well whoever it is, unfortunately, you did. Now please answer my question.  Who is this may I ask?

I didn't get a reply right away, so I just put my phone in my pocket.  After a bit of awkward silence, dad said he was getting another cup of coffee. He left me alone again, as usual but I didn't mind. Someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Boo! It's me!" I do a quick 180 and see Henry.

"Oh, hey, wait, what?" I was happy to see Henry, but also startled and confused.

"I'm the unknown number silly." It suddenly clicked on my head what was going on.

"Oh my gosh! Okay, please don't do that ever again. You could've told who it was earlier.

"Well, you did play along with my little game." Henry playfully punched my shoulder.

"Oh! By the way, I had a few questions to ask you." I remembered my conversation with Mel yesterday.

"Mhm, I'm listening."Henry sat down on a bench across the sidewalk and patted the open seat next to him. I sat down, and started asking questions.

"Numero uno, why are you here if school isn't out for another month? And how did  you get my number?" He was quick to reply.

"I graduated high school at the semester and came down here to live with my grandmother til I went to college. And to answer your second question, you have a bit of a uh, reputation around here apparently.

"And what reputation would that be?" I looked quizzically at him. I had no clue I had a reputation here. I'm anti-social when it comes to events around here. Or was I guess.

"Well if you take a look at the signs over by the bakery, there are signs for a baby sitter that has your name and all but one piece of paper is left. Also you made a YouTube channel from when you were younger. You look about 9 or 10, you looked adorable."

Henry saw the embarrassment on my face when he mentioned the YouTube channel. "I would like to forget that. And that's not much of a reputation."

"Well either way, I'm here and ready to take you somewhere if you will follow me." He gestured in a direction I don't usually go when I'm out.

I seemed hesitant at first, because the last time I went past the park's secure fence, I felt an uncomfortable feeling. But since I was with Henry, I nodded in approval. I sent a text to my dad saying I'd be out for a while longer and followed Henry down the pavement towards the fence and to the denser part of the woods. I've seen people go back here for hunting season, but I've also seen druggies running around back here. But then again, I don't go far into the woods.

Me and Henry walked side by side, continuing further into the woods. Henry seemed to know what he was doing, so I kept following him walking on the leaves hearing the crunch, and listening to the sound of birds. We kept walking for about 10 minutes when Henry stopped and turned around.

"Alright from now on I want you to close your eyes. Don't worry, I won't let you fall. Just follow the sound of my voice." I couldn't help but laugh at this. I kept trying to peek as we continued walking. "Put your hand over your eyes! I can't have the surprise ruined." I did as told. Henry led me through ten minutes of woods. I almost trip a few times but regain my balance.

I am still kind of hesitant about where we were going. The further we walked, the quieter it got around us. I heard an occasional bird or other animal run by, and the leaves under me. The breeze was slight rustling the leaves on the trees. We came to a stop and I was about to open my eyes to ask Henry where we were.

I feel Henry place his hands on mine. I jump at first startled by the sudden contact. "Ready? 1...2...3." He moves his hand and I look at the beauty before me. There was a small creek with stepping stones going across. On the other side, there was a waterfall. The water rushed by in currents being one of the only sounds I could make out. The light from the sun hit the trees just right so the scene before me was bright and lively.

I took in the fresh air and turned to Henry. A smile played my lips. "How did you find this place? It's amazing!"

Henry shrugged, "I did some exploring around when I first got here. I-I just thought that maybe... uh, someone like you needed to see a place like this."

Was he trying to flirt? I pushed it away and took it as just a kind gesture. "Well you did a good job finding it. I would have never thought that a place so beautiful could exist in a place where it's surrounded by so many bad things. I mean just about anywhere you go, there's destruction somewhere. But this place is so peaceful."

"Yeah, it's really nice."

_____________________________________

A/N
  Hey guys! I'm back and better than ever! I published a short story the other day called "Wash and Seek" It would be really cool if you could go read it tell me what you think and if I should publish another short story. I'll see ya around!