Chapter 1

2 months earlier
___________________________

     I looked off into the distance as I sat on Shimmer, my Carolina Marsh Tacky. I love horses, I grew up with them. They were my get away from life when ever I needed it.

     The sun was rising, and I was enjoying the morning air riding Shimmer. The light breeze blowing through my auburn hair as I rode down the hill to my favorite place: the lake.

     "Whoa there, easy girl." I slowed shimmer to a stop when we got there so I could hop off.

     When my feet touched the grass, I took off my boots, and slipped my feet into the cool water, relaxing and looking at the beauty before me. A few more weeks and all of this will be miles away.

     Shimmer was standing in the sun, her skin casting a glow, as she laid in the grass.

     "Why do you have to be an animal? I wish you were a person so I could talk to you." I whispered to her. She let out a quiet "neigh" and rested her head down.

     Couldn't blame her. Its hard being such a beautiful creature, and so strong at the same time. I wish I was that way. I could just do what I please, and everything would be nice and pleasant.

     When I was a little girl, my parents got a divorce, and two years later, my dad married the evil person called my step-mother. I think he married her for the money. She is currently in Nashville, working on a record label for someone from college. But she gets a two day break, so I have to be home soon.

     I sit on the edge of the lake for a few more minutes, then I sigh, realising that there is still a life that I have to get back to. I stand up, put on my boots, and saddle up Shimmer. Then I pull myself up and ride back to the horse house. (That's what I've always called it since I came here.) When the stables are in my field of vision, I got off of Shimmer and walked her into her stall.

     Once she was inside, and secured safely, I grabbed a brush and brushed her down. I leaned in close to her and I started talking to her.

     "Hey girl, you did good today. In a few weeks, I'll be gone so you make sure you be good. Okay?"

     If some people heard the conversations I had with my horse, they probably would've thought I was Dr. Do Little. I talk to her a lot. But she's the only person or thing I can really talk to. I tried using a diary, but it's just not the same. After ten minutes of continuously brushing, I put up the brush, kissed Shimmer on her nose, and walked home to my ordinary life.

~~~

     I walk into the kitchen and check the time. 7:45. Whew, I'm not too late. I sit down at the kitchen table, and my step-mom came downstairs as I was reaching across the table for an apple.

     "Well look who's up early." She sarcastically noted.

     I tried hard not to show emotion towards her. I kept quiet because I knew that if I said anything, I would be slapped. It's her way of punishment for anything. In her mind, I'm to talk when spoken to. But now was not the time.

     I took a bite of the apple I had in my hand, and pretended to take interest in the color of it. Anything to not look at her. I go back to my dad's house in three weeks. I'm really excited because I haven't seen him in a month. Its kind of weird; my parent's schedule.

     My step-mother is trying to be more "nice" to me by buying me more crap from her makeup supplier, but I don't think she's figured out that I don't wear makeup. Ever.

     She looked at me for second and cleared her throat, so that I knew she was going to say something.

     "So I was talking to your father yesterday, and he and I agreed that you should go to your sister's apartment tomorrow and spend some time with her."