Chapter 5

"You finished?" Dad looked up from the laptop.

     "Yep. It took forever, but I can now finally relax." I went over to the island and sat down in one the stools.

     I was bored so I just stared at the marble island trying to think about everything that happened that morning. I thought about Aubrey and how I might never see her again, what will happen to my family now, and how Shimmer was going to my Aunt's ranch. I just sat there, not knowing what to do. I guess the silence lingered a little too long because dad suddenly spoke up.

     "Hey Julia, why is that letter so important? You don't have to answer, but I was just wondering."

     "Oh, it's just a pen pal." I looked over at dad who was giving me a concerned look. "I swear it's true."

     He held his gaze on me for a moment, then dismissed whatever he was thinking. He looked back down at his laptop and simply went back to work.

     "If you're really that bored, you can go walk around the city for a bit I don't mind." I snapped my head towards his direction.

     "What?" I had to hear it one more time.

     "You can go explore the city for a bit. Just remember to keep your phone on you and here's forty bucks." He handed me two twenties and refused to let me give them back.

     I ran upstairs to grab my phone, and was headed out the door before he could change his mind. "Love you bye! Be back soon!"

     I went down the street looking at all the huge buildings. It was really nice outside and I was wearing a blue t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of tennis shoes. I wasn't really paying attention to the sidewalk and the next thing I knew, I ran into someone and spilled their coffee all over them.

     "Oh my gosh! I am so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and I--"

     "No, no you're fine. Don't worry about it." The guy dropped a few napkins and when I went to pick them up, he had the same idea. That caused us to bump heads.

     "Ow! I'm so sorry. I'm such a mess." I stood up and put out my hand.

     "I'm Julia." He gave me a funny look before taking my hand.

     He shook it firmly."I'm Henry Landstone."

     I paused and placed my hand on my head that was still hurting. I know I've heard that name before. Then before I could say anything, a look of realization hit Henry.

    "Wait, Julia? As in Julia Bulnar who is the pen pal I wrote to?" It took me a moment to recognize that he was right. Right in front of me was the guy I've exchanged letters with for a few months.

     "Oh my gosh! It really is you. Now I feel terrible that I made you spill your coffee." I looked down at my Converse, trying to forget the whole moment.

     Henry laughed. I just stood there, I didn't know what to do.

     "U'm, so are you hungry or something? Maybe we can get a bite to eat." I didn't know what I was doing.

     "Sure. Oh I know a really good place that has the best burgers you'll ever taste. It's only a little ways from here. Let me take you there."

     We started walking and in ten minutes, we reached a tiny little diner that said Hayes' Burgers. It was a small building between an office and a library. There were two tables sitting outside, and large windows so you could see inside.

     We went inside and sat down at a booth. I pulled out my phone and saw a missed call from dad. Crap. I went to my messages, and sent him a text.

     Me: I'm sorry I missed your call! My phone was on silent.

     I put my phone on vibrate and set it on the table. A waiter came around and asked us for drinks. Henry got an iced tea, and I got a water. After she left, Henry and I started talking.

     "So guess you won't have to write that letter since I'm sitting right in front of you." I laughed and covered my mouth because it's just one of my insecurities. I hate my smile.

     I was about to say something about how it was in an envelope waiting to be sent when I felt something fall out of my back pocket. It was the letter.

     "Actually, funny thing, I have it right here. I reached down to grab it and handed it to him. He gave a look of bewilderment.

     But he took the envelope from my hand, and took out the paper. He read what I wrote and when he was done, he set it down on the table.

     "Wow. Okay then." A few minutes later, the waiter came back with our drinks.

     "Have you decided what you wanted to eat?"

     Before I could say anything, Henry said, "We would both like a Double-stacked Onion Burger."

     I started to protest, but Henry smiled at the waiter, and she left. "Trust me, this will be the best burger you have ever had."

     We talked some more about just random things. We talked about our favorite bands, which Marvel movie was better, (Captain America: Civil War was the best!) and a few other things. In a few minutes, the waiter came with our goods. Henry wasn't kidding. Just looking at it made my mouth water.

     "Let's eat." Henry raised his cup.

     "To new friends." I raised mine and we toasted.

~~~

     "Wow. You're right! Those were amazing." We walked out of the diner, and started walking on the sidewalk.

     "I told you. Now, is there anything else I could do for you today?" He imitated his best waiter voice."

     I played along, "Well, if you could do me the honors of walking with me to my place, that'd be wonderful."

     We continued down Hickory Street, and went to my place. When we got there, I turned to Henry.

     "Thank you for the little adventure today. I really appreciate it. Oh, and nice meeting you." I turned to go inside but stopped myself.

     "Will I see you around soon?"

     Henry nodded.

     "Anytime Julia, anytime."

~~~~

A/N
Hey guys!! Sorry I haven't posted in like a year. I just forgot about Wattpad and I just remembered my password today. So I will try to post more often and I will keep you updated on stuff. Remember, share and vote!!!!!