Chapter 44: Free in Ignorance

Start from the beginning

I walked outside the prison into the fresh daylight. The cold didn't bother me since the sun was there. I felt like I'd been kept in a cage for years.

I was still inside the prison walls, but I knew I was free. Myles was coming for me. He wasn't going to leave me to rot in that horrid place for another day. I plopped down on the grass and waited for him. He came almost a half an hour later. The gates of the prison opened and he was standing next to a limousine.

“I guess I can't stop babying you,” he said. There was no emotion in his tone. It hurt to here him saying something but having no emotions in it. This wasn't Myles. This was a shell of Myles. “Come on,” he waved me over.

I slid in the back with Myles. Even though he was a few centimeters a way from me, it felt like miles. I wanted him to say something to me—anything. I couldn't take the silence, not from him.

“The food in there is pretty horrible. I think they were serving us mystery meat. Believe me, the meat was very mysterious,” I chuckled nervously. Myles stayed silent.

“My cellmate was very odd. She wouldn't stop staring at me. She watched my every move. I couldn't pee without her staring. One night she...”

“Could we please make this a silent tripped? I'm not in the mood for talking right now,” he replied coldly.

“Do you hate me Myles?” my breathing became sporadic and I started sobbing. It could have been the guards, the horrible food, my weird cellmate, or the fact that I felt like a caged rat, but I couldn't stop crying.

“No, I don't hate you.” Those were the last words he said before we got to the house. I never really notice the outside world after I had turned fifteen. I use to stay in the house all the time. Mom and dad would try to cheer me up, but I just sulked until the big day—the day the van for Victorn Girl's Academy came for me.

Once the limousine pulled into the driveway and stopped, Myles and I got out. Myles unlocked the front door and I followed him into the house.

“Are you okay?” He asked as he closed the door behind me.

“I'm fine,” I croaked.

“Um, everything is the same as you left it. Dinner will be in about two hours. You can clean up and come down. Dad won't be there. He's working late.”

I nodded my head and walked up the stairs. It felt like the longest climb ever. A part of me wanted Myles to chase after me like he always does. I just wanted him back to the way he use to be. I couldn't take him ignoring me.

“Myles, I'm sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. Noah was the one I told you about that day. He was the guy from the academy.”

“I kind of figured that out already. I'm not going to argue about this again. If you want to be with him, then I'll let you go. But I want you to know that I love you and I still want you. Everyone thinks I don't know what love is, but I do. I love it when you smile. I love when you get angry with me and throw things at me. I love when you're blunt and bitchy. I love everything about you. I always have. When I saw you and your friends running in the woods that day, I knew that you were going to be difficult, but I didn't care. My heart still beats for you. I hoped so badly that you would love me one day too.”

“But I do love you!” I shouted. I immediately closed my eyes then opened them again. I didn't mean for it to come out like that but I might as well finish.

“Myles you're the only one that understands me. Noah was there for me at the academy. I couldn't help but get feelings for him. I needed someone and he was there. I use to question whether I loved him.”