Chapter 10: Some Battles You Cannot Win

Decebal

I sat up out of bed and walked over to the cut out in the hut that let sun shine throughout the hut. I looked back at the sleeping Tanafriti, the silk cyan blankets caressed her as she slept again. 

I grab my clothes that were scattered across the floor of the hut. Once my clothes were on me I walked out the hut to find something to eat. I started down the same path Tanafriti and I walked last night but, we had to swim to cross over the wide, east river. But it wasn't a river anymore, just a vast sandy piece of land. Was the old, creepy man correct about getting rest at night? Was the river just an illusion to a dream I had, or did the river come out only at night? I will have to ask, no, she won't even know what I asked, I thought walking back up the path.

The many markets of food, jewelry, spices, and clothing on the street of Egypt is refreshing. To see many cultures, even my cultural items were on display, were valuable to the eyes of many Egyptians.

A guard or soldier of the Pharaoh was keeping an eye on the street, he was armed with a reaper that was placed in a leather compartment that held it. I pulled the hood farther down my head, unsuspecting myself from the watchful eye of the guard.

I walked into a place that had many pieces of clothing. I browsed the selections when I came across a dress, a very tasteful dress. It was a floor-length dress with a low cut front, with lace, the bodice of the dress was a gold silk ruffles, embodied with silver lace, and very form-fitting for Tanafriti.

As soon as I touch the dress an Egyptian woman, black hair, brown eyes and surprising light skin--which was very rare, since many here were tan. "Would you like anything, sir?" The lady asked walking up to me.

I turned, slightly to her "Ah yes, I would like to get this dress, but--"

"Oh my!" --the lady gasped clutching her amulet-- "she's a lucky lady. That dress was designed for Queen Nefertiti herself, but..." The lady's voice trailed off. She looked directly at me, and away from the dress, her eyes filled with disappointment "She never wore it though, what a shame," she shook her head. But I could detect her quivering of some words, she was lying straight through her teeth about the dress.

I smirked "Oh, really! When was it created, I'm quite...eager about Nefertiti," I asked looking at the lady.

Her expression went blank, cold, colorless. I had stump her with that question, She never knew. "Take the dress and leave, just-just do not tell a soul, please" The lady grabbed the dress and threw it in my arms, pushing me out the door.

I arrived back at the hut to see Tanafriti still asleep. She looked beautiful, at peace when she is asleep. I walked over to her and squatted on the floor, eye-level to her soft face. I softly, gently touched Tanafriti's face with my fingers. I reminisced of the time we had made love. How her body fitted mine, like a puzzle piece, it was perfect. How I had kissed her lavish skin, and how my teeth had grazed her skin, how her legs had intertwined with mine-- 

"Good morning my love," A voice had said, softly. I looked up and saw Tanafriti. Her eyes were groggy and tired and soft. 

I patted her arm "It's okay go back to sleep." She grabbed my hand and pressed it against her delicate cheek, as she did that I could see the slightly purplish-bluish mark of where I had grazed her neck. She kissed my fingertips and reached to my arms. I laughed slightly and gently squeezed her arm then letting it go. I went over and grabbed the dress, and walked back over to Tanafriti. 

Tanafriti was curious, her head was cocked to the side in confusion as I had walked back and handed her the dress. She lifted her head back to the side and cautiously grabbed the dress, holding it up to herself. She slowly smiled adding a small twirl.

Tanafriti and I had walked back to the palace, I sneaked back to my Quarters and she went back to her chamber.

Every slave had gotten their things and went to work: fields, cooking, cleaning, seamstress. I grabbed my metal reaper and walked out into the burning sun. I had grown darker since I was captured, and my feelings had been altered. I wasn't me anymore--I am, I, now.

As I was finishing up gathering the papyrus, I looked to my left and saw a few broad shadows. Tanafriti I thought. I went back to my work and carried the papyrus to a basket in the Quarters.

Then I could feel the atmosphere become heavy, almost thick, but it couldn't be humid? Humidity doesn't come in a snap, it comes gradually. I looked at the wide-eyed slaves. I ran out the Quarters into the fields into the palace. There was a long snake-like streaks of blood. Afraid, and shaking, heavily breathing I followed the blood trail.

It led into the room where Tanafriti and Odjit had fought. I gasped covering my mouth with the back of my hand. Her Parents, Tanafriti had lie dead their necks covered in blood. They've been slaughtered!

Tanafriti! I thought alarmed. I ran to her chamber, thinking the worst possibilities I could think of. I reached her door and opened it. She was there. Asleep. I let out a sigh and walked over to her. She was in the dress I was given. I smiled slightly. I sat down beside her, careful to make sure I didn't wake her from her slumber. With a gentle sweep of my hand I brush away some of her hair bent down slowly. My lips softly met her cheek.

Something sharp, cold, and hard was digging in my neck. "Move away from the girl, now!" A deep, husky voice commanded. Slowly I sat up from Tanafriti's bedside, I slowly turned around and saw a dark figure. "You speak, Latin?"

The man chuckled "Yes. I have chloroformed your lover, she won't wake up until it wears off," the sword was still held pointed at me.

"What are you going to do to her?" I said flatly, a metallic taste rising in my throat.

"Give her the feeling of something horrific--" The man edged Tanafriti's bed. "She's quite--different. She was fierce. Quite a little whore." I balled my fists anger rising, my patience weathering.

Then--I felt something crash against my skull. I yelled out in pain and fell to my knees, then on my side.