Chapter 3: The Shattered Glass

There was a woman with such forlorn eyes in front of me. Her eyes were crystal clear, like a lake that mirrors the hue of a cloudless sky but the depth of the waters gave a feeling of a certain intensity. Looking at these eyes makes me melancholic. Such a young woman but filled with so much pain it almost drowns me so as if I am sucked by her grief. Which should be impossible as that woman is my reflection.

I tried to smile and all I could see from her was a heartbreaking fake.

"That looks creepy, my lady," Melene commented from the sideline "You look like those pretty porcelain dolls that would just break just by smashing them to the ground."

I only twitched at her unnecessary annotation. I was really trying hard not to react to her every provocation as it would only give me a headache.

"Your tears are absolutely frozen, my lady but ah, the trembling looks beholding for me to delight."

"Silent, servant," I glared at her because while I could not overpower her I still have to remind her of the role she has to play "Every time you open your mouth dirties the air I breathe."

She smiled as if I was making a joke. Sometimes I wonder if she was simply a masochist or was angering me her hobby?

"You look cute when angered, my lady," she suddenly said before purring "Delectable and ravishing~♥"

I threw a bottle at her hoping it hit her hard. If it was the expensive perfume Achille sent me as a gidt, I never regretted anything at all. Or bothered caring anyways.

"How can you be unkind to this poor maid of yours, my lady?" Melene whined as she nursed her nonexistent bruise on her head. The bottle was broken into pieces and her face was wet from the perfume yet not a single welt. It's unfair how hard that head of hers is.

I gave her a deadpanned stare as the nauseating smell of magnolia invaded my space. I hate magnolias.

"Well how was I supposed to know you can actually act prude when you're actually lewd and vulgar? Didn't you poison your husband in that one life of yours? And in the middle of lovemaking? And there was that one or two lives that you have lovers left and right."

"I'm pretty sure I slit his throat before consuming poison in that life," I corrected her "And it wasn't lovers but I was made into a pleasure whore."

I really wish to forget all the memories of that shame. In that life, I ran away and got caught by slave traders who found my hair exotic. Rather than hold me for ransom... things happened. Though I suppose I did learn something from that experience like say, poison and how to kill a man.

"See my lady, your mind is full of lechery."

"Be silent, servant and help me prepare for dinner."

Melene pouted but complied with my wish. The tightening of my corset almost squeezed all my insides and I have I scream bloody murder at its fit. Did she wish to kill me?