Chapter 7

Adrien's Point of View

When I was running to my class (only because I was tardy from lack of sleep), I noticed my classroom was crowded with kids outside, and there seemed to be chaos on the inside as well.

"What's going on?" I asked a blue-haired girl I'd seen when I fought Stormy Weather.

"People want to be friends with Ladybug and get her autograph. Only she's my second cousin, but I wouldn't mention it to this crowd over here," she whispered to me.

"Oh my goodness," I realized Marinette was probably in the tangled mess of a chaotic crowd. I ran to a closet to transform. When I came out, I ran outside to use my staff to come in through the opened window.

I saw everyone crowded around Alya and Chloe as Marinette was unconscious in a forgotten corner. Not wanting to draw attention to the poor girl, I picked her up quietly and left back through the window. I took her to the nearest boy's bathroom, and used the sink faucet to wet a paper towel. The first thing I noticed was that her face was tear-streaked and warm, so I gently pat the cold wet paper towel on Marinette's face and stroked her hair back.

"It's okay, princess. It's going to be okay," I gently spoke as I saw her awaken.

"Ch-Chat?" She whimpered, looking up at me.

"Don't worry, beautiful princess. I'm here," I consoled the waking girl.

"It's okay, don't worry. It's going to be okay," I repeated, holding Marinette as she nuzzled her face into my chest.

"I can't believe all that... just happened. What- why can't people just treat me like they used to, Chat?" Her voice mumbled into my suit.

"Everyone just found out the true identity of the beautiful girl who's been protecting them all along," I held her in a hug.

"But- it's me, Marinette. Why can't they just act normal around me when I'm a civilian anymore? I can deal with this when I'm transformed, because that's when I'm the actual superhero. Marinette isn't the superhero. Ladybug is," she picked herself up to look at me, her eyes wandering to the golden bell on my suit.

"Who's to say that Marinette isn't as great as Ladybug? Obviously that would be ridiculous, considering Ladybug is just a masqueraded Marinette. Nevertheless, Marinette is the true hero," I placed my hand on her shoulder in a comforting manner.

"Then why can't people just call me by my real name? All I am is Ladybug to them! Now, all I am is just the impression I give them in a mask! Even my own best friend just sees the mask!" Marinette stood up straighter, clenching her fist in frustration.

"It's only been two days, right? Just give it a week or two, Princess. It'll get better in time. I promise," I assured her, seeing as my miraculous was running low. The beeps came, as expected.

"I should get going. My ring is low-powered, but I'll come visit you. Come to me whenever," I kissed her hand, then quickly ran out of the bathroom and into a closet when no one was looking.

By the time I got to the classroom, I noticed people seemed to have settled down. Chloe and Alya were done fighting, and were sitting in opposite sides of the room. I realized Marinette hadn't come in yet, so I made the dumb decision of pretending "Chat Noir" told me that she needed guidance.

"Hey Marinette, so Chat Noir said you were having problems with some of the students in our class? I'll sit with you, if you'd like," I calmly told her with a polite smile on my face.

"A-Adrien?! Yes! I mean- um what problems?! There's no problems here! Oh, but then there's- ahahaha," she rambled as she looked at me.

"I understand more than you'd think. Adrien Agreste has never been just a normal civilian boy either," I winked, placing my hands upon her shoulders gently.

She looked at me with a different kind of look: the same one I got from her when I gave her the umbrella.

Maybe this could be the start of something big.

A/N: Quick lame self-promo: check out my new story on my spam account (@LeSavageCabbage) if you haven't already! It's my favorite plot so far 💖