19:00, Thursday

The cool night breeze whipped her hair and stung her eyes as she lifted her cup of Earl Grey tea to her lips. She was sitting outside on the front porch, on the wooden rocking chair that her mother had given her before she passed away, staring out into the deserted street and the lonely sky. It was odd that there weren't a lot of people out. It wasn't too late, and usually around this time some of the neighbourhood kids would still be running about, but there were none.

There was nothing but silence.

How she hated silence.

"C'mon, Kiara."

She was wearing her prettiest dress and he was holding her hand, leading her up to the dance floor. She never usually went to parties - they were too loud and rowdy for her. Plus, she was almost always swamped with work anyways, and work was more important than parties - no matter how fun they seemed, no matter how much her friends begged her. 

But he was so persistent.

He said that it would be fun. He said that she should let loose - relax for awhile. At first she had been shocked, then confused, then slightly wary - after all, what kind of a guy goes up to some random coffee shop barista and ask her to be his "date"? 

But the more she looked at him, the more her heart wavered, until she giggled and said "sure" and he gave her all the details of when they would meet. He was cute, and when his eyes met hers, she felt butterflies flutter their wings in her stomach.

"Dance with me."

There was some fast-paced techno song playing, and the dance floor was filled to the brim. People were laughing, people were screaming, people were throwing up and crying and moving their bodies to the beat. It was loud, it was blaring, and she could hear her heartbeat pounding in her chest.

"I - I don't know the steps."

He placed his hand around her waist, leaning her, reassuring her with his touch. "You don't need to."

And so they danced.

And she loved it.

She had loved it because of its loudness, the blaring of the music from the towering speakers, the clinking of glasses from the bar, the cheering of men and women all around her. She had loved it because for the first time, she found herself letting go, letting herself be free, letting herself fall into him.

She had convinced herself that it would be the best night of her life.

She let out a chuckle, then sipped her tea. It had grown cold, but she didn't care. She didn't care about anything anymore - at least, that's what it felt like. 

How wrong she'd been. 

//

A/N:

I hope you've enjoyed the fourth part of Kiara's story, and I'm terribly sorry for the lack of updates! I've had an extremely busy week and I hadn't had time to write. Anyways, what did you think of the chapter? Any feedback? Any and all comments are highly appreciated and do go a long way <3

Thanks so much for reading!

- Nicki