Chapter Two

A few weeks had passed since Ryder found Rocky and brought the pup to live with him at the Lookout. So far everything seemed to be going great, especially for Zuma. The lab was still pretty new to the team himself and he never really got along with the other members like he did with Rocky. Marshall and Chase had been with the boy since they were born so they were basically brothers, and they knew nothing of living on the streets, not like his two newer pups. The lab and mix were rescues, and they had bonded instantly.

Ryder remembered not too long ago, Zuma was depressed almost every day, the pup had gone through something awful with his own family who had abandoned the poor thing, and though the pup has never told Ryder what happened he had some guesses. I've never seen Zuma as happy as he is now that Rocky is his friend. The boy thought to himself as he watched all his pups playing in their gigantic yard from the lookout balcony. It was a beautiful evening and no rescues had come up all day so all the pups were relaxing and having fun.

Marshall and Chase were laying by themselves under a large maple tree towards the back of the yard. It was sort of like their special spot, or so Ryder thought anyway, the two of them did spend a lot of time under that tree after all. They appeared to just be talking with one another, the boy was curious about what they could be discussing, of course he'd never get to know. Those two had been stuck together like siblings since they were born. Lately their relationship had been headed towards something more, though. Ryder was sure he was the only one who saw it.

The boy turned his attention to Rocky and Zuma who were playing fetch with a tennis ball, racing to see who could get the bright green treasure first. They were using a small makeshift catapult that the mix breed had put together out of random junk lying about. Ryder was impressed to say the least, the pup had a talent for inventing, no doubt about it. He was already thinking of how to integrate the grey pup's skill on his team. Ryder was extremely grateful for finding the mix breed, at least now Zuma had some pup to play with when the other pups didn't include him.

"I got it, I got it!" Zuma yelled as he sprinted towards the flying ball as fast as his legs would take him.

"I don't think so, that ball is all mine Zuma." Rocky called back to his friend who was trailing a bit behind him. He only looked back for a second, but that was all it took for the mix to miss the rope toy lying on the ground. The pup tripped over the toy sending him tumbling before he stopped, landing on his back with a groan.

"Wocky, look out!" The lab warned, unable to stop himself in time he collided with the mix sending them both rolling again. When at last they came to a halt Rocky found himself on top of the lab looking into his pretty, golden eyes, the two of them blushing at at their situation. The mix laid on top of Zuma for a moment feeling the warmth of his soft brown fur, trying hard to resist the urge to kiss the adorable pup below him right then and there. He knew that he loved the lab, he realized that weeks ago, but would Zuma ever feel the same?

"You alright?" Rocky asked his friend. "Ow!" he yelped as the tennis ball bonked him right on his head. He rubbed away the pain with his white paw.

Zuma was laughing underneath the mix, "I guess the tennis ball got you dude." Rocky joined the lab in his laughter. Ryder was chuckling to himself on the balcony as well, watching the spectacle.

Rocky rolled off of the lab and helped him up. "That was weally fun Wocky." Zuma smiled at his friend, panting rapidly. "But I am exhausted fwom all that wunning. Hey, I was gonna go down to the bay today, wanna come with?" He asked, tail wagging.

The mix breed was suddenly overcome with dread as he looked down at the ground, ears folded back. "I can't go swimming with you or anything though, why would you want me to come?" Rocky asked.