5.

Talking about his parents was a rough spot. It was what caused a terrible silence so she decided to start a different conversation. She opened her mouth to ask the question she'd been wanting to ask ever since he texted her. 'How are you not okay?' But right when Heidi was about to, Luke said something else. 

"When's your birthday?" He asked as he sipped his tea. 

She was caught off gaurd and stuttered before answering. "May 9th. Why? And what about you?" She repositioned herself on the bean bag to be able to drink the tea without spilling it.

"July 14th. No reason." He sipped his tea while looking at her. As if examining her reaction.

Heidi took a sip of her tea but kept staring back into his eyes. She swallowed the tea and blinked. "What are you thinking?" She asked. He squinted and said "I'm thinking, your eyes are so much brighter than mine." Heidi shrugged. "They're not that brighter than yours." Luke took a sip of his tea again. "Yours are more like a river when mine are more like a swamp." He said back. 

"Well yours are greyer than a usual swamp." She said. He laughed a little and said. "Then mine are a swamp on a cloudy day." Heidi smiled. 

"Swamps are safer than rivers." She said after a couple of seconds. "Although that has nothing to do with eye colours." 

"There are alligators and crocodiles in swamps." Luke stated putting his empty tea cup on the coffee table. "They're dangerous." 

Heidi drank the last bit of tea in her cup and put it on the coffee table as well. 

"The rapid moving water in rivers is also fairly dangerous." 

"River's are more relaxing though." He said.

"Swamps are calmer." She said back, she wasn't going to give up. Unsure of what was going on in Luke's mind she crossed her legs just like he did and waited for his reply.

But it didn't come.