CHAPTER 5

Since that incident on the pool, my mother asked me to help Lauren fit in. My parents and Harry's parents are good friends with the Jauregui's. They must've known. All I knew then was that they adopted her because they lost a son.

*flashback

Harry's father dropped his voice, and I had to listen closely to hear what he said. "Sinu, you should have seen Clara and Mike. They seemed alive and happy again."

The next day at school, Lauren introduced herself to everyone. When the bell rang, quiet and quick, she moved through the halls and disappeared into the group of students. It was shocking how she quickly vanished.

And that is how it's always been with Lauren, I realize now, looking back. We have always seen her swimming along the surface. Only one time did I see her dive deep.

I was on my way to my Grandfather's house to share a good news. I have to make it quick so I can make the curfew, but I don't want grandfather to think that I am marking the minutes. Marking time. Marking time until his life is over in a few days.

We talked about what happened. I told him about Lauren. He was furious. He thought it was a cruel thing to do to someone like her.

"What do you think grandmother would say about my match?" I ask him. "About what happened?"

He's quiet, and I wait. "I think," he says finally. "She would ask you if you wondered."

I want to ask him what he means, but I hear the bell ringing, announcing that the final air train will be coming soon. I have to go.
"Camila?" grandfather says as I stand up. "You still have the compact I gave you right?"
"Yes" I say, surprised that he asked.
"Will you bring it tomorrow to my Final banquet?" he asks.
"Of course I will"
"Thank you" he says.

Tears threaten to spill over my cheek as I bend down to kiss him. But I hold them back. As I walk down the hall, I hear other residents talking to themselves or to the visitors behind closed doors.

She would ask you if you wondered.

I step into the elevator and push the button, feeling sad and strong and confused. What did he mean? As the elevator shut down, I closed my eyes.

My grandmother would want to know if I wondered if it wasn't a mistake after all. If Lauren were meant to be my Match.

For a moment, I did. When I saw Lauren's face flash in front of me so quick, I wondered.

Is it you?

---------

Well...Sorry for taking too long to update I was really busy :( BUT...to cope I promise to publish another chapter later. How's this going so far? Hope you liked this short chapter. See ya later 👋💕

-H