Chapter 1 (Diana)

I'm still writing this story, but I've already finished like the start, so I'll be copying and pasting that first. By the way, I actually live on a farm with horses and cattle so I've tried to make this as realistic as possible☺

Diana --

My alarm blared angrily, flashing 5:00 AM at me in bright red letters. I slapped my hand down on it and the air was filled instead with birds chirping from outside. Rolling over in my bed, I stretched out like a lazy cat. Now why would I have it set so early? I wondered dreamily. I abruptly swore, sitting up too fast and receiving a nasty pang in my head as punishment. I rubbed my temples as I tugged on my jeans and long-sleeve button-on shirt, its material cold from the early morning air, but still familiar. I quickly did up the buttons, and moved to my socks and riding boots, pulling a brush through my hair. Finished, I quickly checked my reflection in the mirror, and scowled when I saw that I'd done my shirt up wrong. I redid it quickly as I flicked off the lights and stepped out of the donga. I was welcomed by the comforting crunch of dirt beneath my boots.

The sun was a faint glow on the horizon, the morning had reached that time when everything was cast in a shadow, but you could still see about. "Diana!" came a familiar, excited voice. Pippa appeared around the side of the room, and gave me a huge grin. "Time to muster today! You ready to go?"

"Of course!" I replied with equal enthusiasm. I glanced around, soaking in the view. I was at Cheeta Plains, which was a cattle station out in the South of Kimara. The red dirt could be seen as far as the eye could reach, with layers of bushes and gum trees creating what seemed like a wall all around. I was here for work, taking a year off from school before I went to UNWA- the University of New West Austric- to do social studies. Here I could get good pay for doing what I loved; riding horses to gather cattle from around the paddock and bringing them into the cattle yards that were hidden by the line of trees. "Are you coming too?"

Pippa pouted, still managing too look beautiful. "No. I can't ride a horse, so instead I'm staying here cooking with Mrs Connell." she said it as if it was a horrible punishment. "I wish I could go, though! It sounds like so much fun."

"I might be able to teach you to ride, if Danny let's me." I gave my friend I sly look, which she returned, then we burst out laughing.

"Danny will do anything you ask him! I bet he'd polish you boots and plait you hair if you wanted him too!" giggled Pippa. I felt a bit mean talking about Danny like this. He was working here too, and looked after the horses- and yeah, he definitely had a mega-crush on me, and even though he wasn't my type, he was still really nice. "Have you seen the new guy, Orion? He reckons he's gonna go to UNWA after this too."

"Really? That's cool... lots of people go to UNWA though."

"Yeah, but he's really hot." I raised my eyebrows at Pippa, who blushed, giggling. We began to make our way over to the main house area, where the smells of bacon and eggs were wafting towards us already. "And I mean super-mega irresistibly hot."

"Ohhhh wow Pippa! Are you, like, obsessed with this guy?"

Before Pippa could reply, Eethan jogged up. "Guess what girls? I get to muster today too! I chatted to Fred and he said I could go as long as I stick with Grassy."

"Lucky!" groaned Pippa. "I don't get to go no matter who I stick too."

"I didn't even know you knew the first thing about riding?" I queried.

Eethan grinned. "That's the thing- I don't. That's why I was so shocked when he said yes!"

"That is so not fair!" Pippa complained again. "Who is this Grassy anyway?"