Chapter 13

Abigail's Highschool, New York, 3:00pm, General POV

"So Maya, shall we go now?" Gabe asked.

"Sure," Maya replied.

The two start walking to the subway. They ride it all the way to Gabe's station then hopped off. Along the walk to their house, Maya thought she saw a familiar face, Josh. She shook the thought away, it can't be. When they reached Gabe's house, he opened the door and let Maya in, she stepped in and he walked in as well then closed the door behind him.

"Gabe, is that you?" Amy called from the other room.

"Yeah!" Gabe replied.

She walked out from the kitchen with Toby in his arms.

"Hi, I'm Amy, Gabe's mom. Gabe, who's this?" she asked.

"This is Maya, she's my history project partner," He introduced her, and motioned to her.

"Hi, it's very nice to meet you Ms. Duncan," Maya greeted her. "And who might this be?" She looked at Toby and smiled.

"This is Toby, the youngest of the Duncan children," Amy explained.

"He's adorable," Maya cooed.

"Yeah, he's cute, let's go work on the project, kay?" Gabe switched the topic.

"Aw, is somebody jelly?" Maya teased.

"No." Gabe crossed his arms.

"You're jealous!" Maya poked him.

Amy smiled, she was glad her son was moving on from his heartbreak. And that he was smiling and laughing again.

"Gabe! Come help!" Charlie called from downstairs. Gabe rushed down, with Maya trailing behind him.

"What's wrong, Charlie?" He asked, concerned. He and Charlie were close, after Teddy and PJ moved away, they were pretty much eachother's only company.

"Nothing bad, I was just wondering if you could help me get the teacup up there," Charlie answered.

"Seriously, Charlie?"

"Very."

Gabe chuckled at his little sister and grabbed the teacup from the shelf, he handed it to her. She smiled and said, "Thanks!" before running off.

"You really care about her, huh?" Maya said.

"Yeah, Charlie's my little sister. I gotta protect her. Since PJ moved to be on his own, I have to be the protective older brother. Well, PJ wasn't the brightest, so I don't know, maybe he wasn't that much help," Gabe answered.

"It's cute how well you two get along."

"Shut up," Gabe said playfully.

"Mhm, sure," Maya replied.

They heard the front door open, and ran up the stairs. They poked their heads out from around the wall to see who it was.

"Teddy's here," Gabe told her after seeing his sister. He stepped out from behind the wall and started towards the door, Maya too. Then he caught a glimpse of Josh, turned around and covered Maya's eyes.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Nothing. Let's head back downstairs, it's boring up here," He rambled, and urged her towards the stairs.

"You're hiding something, but okay.." She started down the stairs then whipped around and charged back up and darted to the living room. Gabe ran after her after he realized he'd just been tricked. He's a baseball player so he caught up pretty quickly, just in time to see the hurt on Maya's face after seeing Josh with Teddy.