The real enemy: Lies

Start from the beginning

"Austin, what are you doing?" People began to ask me.

"You're going to get in trouble, man. Go back." Another added.

"Before the chief comes back, I need to tell you all something." I said. They looked at me in confusion.
"Two men were left behind at the war spot yesterday. I'm not supposed to tell you guys this so listen up while I can. The chief is putting us out to battle May 4 but not to save the two men left behind, Zane and Tom. I thunk we all should re-route the location of the war zone on the plane and switch it to the location where we fought yesterday. Then, we can save Zane and Tom." I said in a rush because I didn't know when the chief would get back.

"Wait, so Zane and Tom were left behind and you want to fly the plane to the place where we fought yesterday instead of where we are supposed to go?" One of the men asked.

"Yes, but I can't do it unless all of you are in agreement to risk your lives to get Zane and Tom back."

"I'll do it." One man said while raising his hand.

Then another one raised their hand after another. Soon enough, everyone was raising their hands.
"Anyone not in agreement?" I asked. No one raised their hand. That was easy enough.

"We will go after it tonight in our bunks." I said. Suddenly, the chief appeared noticing I wasn't running.
"Austin! What in hell are you doing?" He shouted. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't give away everything we just talked about. I could get kicked out of the Army if I was caught.

"Sir, I had finished my running." That was all I could think of to say. It was hardly believable. Finishing a total of 100 laps in this amount of time? It was nearly impossible.

"Men, did Austin really finish all of his laps?" The chief ordered harshly while turning towards the rest of the men. I knew they would say no, because the chief can easily look on the cameras and see what I did. He would know I told them something.

"No, sir." The commander replied. In some way I was happy that he said no so he wouldn't check the cameras. But on the other hand, I knew I was going to get punished.

"Everyone start shooting targets with your assigned guns. Austin, come with me." I did as he said and he led me into his office. Since he was in charge, he always had two men inside and outside the door so no one will try to hurt him, or try and sneak in. The two men inside the room closed his door behind me.

"Lying is a very serious offense." The chief began. "Men who go into the army never lie to each other. They gain respect and trust each other. But you did lie, and you were not willing to tell the truth. This isn't your first time getting called in here. Remember July 4?

Last year when it was July 4
It was a normal day and we had finished our training. Everyone was eating their dinner at the tables and I was sitting with Henry and Cam. I remembered that it was July 4 and we weren't allowed to set off fireworks. So, in the middle of the night when everyone else was sleeping, I got up and went into the bathrooms and made sure to lock the door. Then, I rummaged through the medical drawers until I found some hydrogen peroxide (mouthwash). I then poured it into a bottle that was used to hold the soap in it until I emptied it all out. OH, and remember only a few hours earlier when I was at dinner? Well, after was when everyone was headed back to their bunks, I snuck into the kitchen, past ten cooks, and stole some dish soap, food coloring, and yeast. I took it with me into the bathrooms and added them all with the hydrogen peroxide in the bottle. Then I added just a tiny spoonful of water, put the cap to the bottle back on, and ran into the bunks with the bottle. I quickly set the bottle roughly in the middle of the room and stepped back. Suddenly, the bottle exploded with water coming out of the top of it. Water splashed all over everyone in the room. They awoke from their sleep and noticed I was the only one not soaking wet. That led to them screaming and chasing me out of the room. The chief found out when I ran right into him and we both fell on the floor.

Back to present time
"I might as well have you kicked out of the Army!" The chief said. "But I like you as a soldier, occasionally, and instead you will have a punishment tonight. While everyone is asleep, starting now, you will clean section A. Including the bathrooms. Now, get to work! You have a lot of cleaning to do if you ever want to go to sleep tonight." He said. The base was divided into sections, and usually the different sections represented different groups of soldiers. Our group was Section A.

"Yes, sir."

"Dismissed." When the chief said that, the two men by the door opened it for me and closed it when I exited the chief's office. I headed to the janitors room to get cleaning supplies. This was so dumb. Me a janitor for one day? And maybe not even getting sleep? And I have more training tomorrow. How was I supposed to go over the plan with the men in the bunks tonight? I had to somehow. Meanwhile, I began to clean.