A CONVERSATION WITH LILLIASAN, THE AUTHOR OF GUARDIAN

A friend of mine who is a fan of this story motivated me to do a Q&A when I finished it.  She wanted to do an interview because she was filled up with many questions and wanted some answers.  I hope you all enjoy this and see if you're interested as to what lead me to make this fanfic for all of you.  Thank you all for sticking with me and giving me such encouraging, sweet words.  I hope to see you soon in my next Gintoki fanfic!

What compelled you to write this fanfic?

        When I write a story they always begin with an image and scenarios.  As obvious as it seems, I am a big fan of Gintama itself though I do have the biggest soft spot for Gintoki.  If you're friends with me and/or follow me on any of my social medias, I spam a lot about him and show how much I appreciate Gintama and Gintoki through words.
        Like any other person who's deeply in love with a character, you think of ways of how to make them happy and wish you were there for them in their struggles.  I like to have a little angst in most of my fanfics because as a writer, you have to empathize.  You have to put yourself in their shoes and see how you'll make this person develop and give them emotion.  Though I'm still working on how to get better at this, this fanfic really gave me the chance to test it out.

Why do you have a passion for writing reader insert fanfics?

        I know some people find them (reader inserts) weird—but I love writing reader insert fanfics because I like to please those who also really love the same character as I do, I love to give those people their wants of a character and entertain them.  I love writing because it's my way of expressing how I feel through a story.  I love creativity and making fanfics gives me the chance to develop it.  To me, it's very amusing and relaxing to create stories because it's fun to do and gives me the chance to see how far I've come.

What exactly is the relationship between the Reader and Gintoki, Takasugi, Kamui, Toshiro, and mostly Okita?  I noticed that Okita and Reader were close in the prologue but what exactly was the relationship?

        Gintoki is pretty obvious, it's basically what this fanfic is about.
        Takasugi and Reader well...they're complicated.  Remember the sex scene?  Yeah.  Like back in Shouka Sonjuku and the Joi War, they were all really good friends.  I guess you can say that (currently) Shinsuke and Reader are, or were, friends with benefits.
        Toshiro?  Haha, they're obviously good friends and Reader tends to throw sexual jokes at him to tick him off and make him blush for her own fun.
        Kamui and Reader are good friends, as said in the chapter when he shows.
        Haha, I'm glad someone finally noticed and caught on to them.  I guess out of all the Shinsengumi members, she's the closest to him.  I guess you can say that they're both best friends.

Back in chapter five I was stunned about the first three paragraphs.  It was beautifully written.  Did you actually write that at the age of 13?  And did you base it off your own experiences?

        Yes, I did!  Thank you so much for your kind words!  Even till this day I'm still proud of myself of that piece.  It just hit me one day when I was feeling quiet stressed about a personal problem I was having and typed it all down.  I even entered it in as a poetry project in class and got a good grade on it; my teacher shared it with many others and then came to me about it.  That piece really hits home with me and means a lot, it's also an encouragement for me to upgrade on my writing.

What does the title Guardian mean to you and why you chose it?

        That's a very good question.  When I made this story, I wanted to put many symbolism into it and I'm not so sure if any of the readers caught onto them.  The quotes I put at the bottom also have a meaning; I wanted to reach out to my readers.  It's kind of my way of me being there for them and see if anyone else could relate.  The Reader in the story is broken like Gintoki, and Gintoki to her is also not just a friend but her guardian.  Gintoki symbolizes for the Reader's shoulder to lean, I'm sure we all know that Gintoki is a sweet, wonderful man at heart.  He's is basically the father in the Yorozuya.  He watches over them just like for Reader.
        Remember the end to chapter ten when they reunited?  It explains everything; he's her other half.  Her best friend, her family, and her lover.  A person for her to lean on, a person for her to go to when times get tough.  A person who'll wait for her to come home to no matter how terrible things get.  That's what family is, too.

Do you have any new Gintoki fanfics you're making?

        Hm...I'll have to think about that.  Nowadays it's hard for me to get back into writing and I do hope I come up with a good idea soon.  For now, I'm thinking of sticking with one shots and shorter stories.  I struggled trying to make Guardian longer and it really stressed me out forcing myself to create more chapters; I struggled to come up with further ideas for this fanfic.  But I thank those who still stuck with me.  I hope to see everyone in my new Gintoki fanfic when it comes out—someday!