Eleanor’s lip trembled, and for a minute I thought she would cry. Instead. She shrieked like a banshee “silence!”

   Damen’s next words where slow and precise “Or what?”

   Eleanor gave a cruel smile, and lifted her hand to the air.

   Snap.

   They fell from the ceiling, one by one, about 6 in all and each set of eyes as bloody as the last. They were like demons falling from the sky.

   “Shit…” Damen swore silently next to me, and then everything erupted.

   Eleanor dashed out the door, and vampires surrounded us. Their eyes where cruel and unforgiving as the charged at us left, right and centre. Damen pulled out a razor sharp sword that gleamed in the light, before tossing me a similar one only smaller. I wielded it, ready to stab the first thing that tried to attack me.

   I didn’t have to wait long. A red head with sharp teeth ran at me, faster than I expected and I dodged just in time as she skidded to a halt. She whipped around, and her hand flung out to grab my neck. I ducked and slashed the blade across her knees. It started to sizzle where I’d cut her and she screeched in pain. I stared at the blood on the blade as she clutched her knees.

   I took the moment to check on Damen .There was a charred body at his feet, and he was trapped in a dance with the pale haired male.

   Red flashed to my side and she caught me by surprise. Before I knew it I was down on the ground, her face looming in. Her eyes homed in on my neck.

   “Get off me you bitch!” I hissed, as she leant down to bite….

   She stopped, looked up and coughed blood over my face before falling forwards with a knife in her back.

   Damen was standing there, with a weary look on his face. “Your welcome.”

   He couldn’t see the dark haired vampire charging at him behind, his eyes hungry.

   “Duck!” I yelled, and he did as I said, a confused look on his face. I threw the knife, and surprisingly it hit the target. The vampire collapsed, a knife in his fore-head.

   “Your welcome.” I said. Damen stood there wide-eyed, eyebrows raised.

   “Nice shot…” He grumbled and I smiled to myself. Score one to Evangeline!

   I gazed around at the rubble and wiped the smile off my face. “Are they all dead?”

   “Not just yet…Stand back.” He said, and stepped towards the nearest body and pulled it into the middle of the floor. He stacked the others on top until there was a huge pile of bodies. Damen narrowed his eyes, and clenched his fists. Suddenly, the pile erupted into flames.

   I jumped back, but the flames where carefully controlled. I smelt charcoal mixed in with old blood and something that smelled like rotten eggs. I scrunched up my nose. “Urghh…Vamp smells bad.”

  Damen watched the flames “This is bad you know. I’d appreciate it if you’d be serious for just a second.”

   I cringed at his tone. “What do you mean? Don’t you usually deal with this many?”

   “No. I expected one at most. Usually they end up killing each other, they aren’t exactly bright creatures.” He said “Something like this.” He gestured to the bodies “Proves they’ve started to work together.”

   “And more rogues means…”

   “Less sane vampires.”

   I thought for a second. I suddenly realized how important my job was, killing evil vampires. If I failed, so would the underworld.

   “I’m sorry…”

   Damen gave an amused look “For what?”

   “Being an idiot. I’ll try harder from now on.”

   Damen gave me a curved smile “You’re not that bad. You know, for a newbie.”

   I scoffed “Yeah, thanks.”

   And then we left the scene of the crime and the smouldering pile behind us.

   When I entered my room, Violet was waiting there anxiously twiddling her thumbs. I thought Vampires where supposed to be all calm and collected all the time. Well, they were in twilight anyway.

   “Evangeline! Are you alright? Have you got any…ya know?” She made biting motions on her neck.

   “No, Violet, I did not get chowed down on by a vampire. I’m peachy, trust me.”

   She looked relieved “Yeah, well I don’t need you getting all rabid on me. Anyway, aren’t you going to ask how my day was?”

   “So what, are we like a married couple now?” She gave me a withering look “OK then, how was your day?

   “Crap. We found humans, tons of the things. About 10 all stacked up under the bridge, not very nice to clear up.” She bit her lip “Something freaky’s going on, I’m telling you.”

   “Yeah, Damen said they’d started to work together.”

   “So, basically we’re screwed right?”

   I shook my head “Not if I do my job properly.”

   Violet smirked “As I said: screwed.”

   I slapped her on the arm, and she shot little misty water droplets at me.

   I jumped into bed and turned over, twiddling with a strand of hair and thinking of the dead vampires…mainly Gabriel.

   Because Damen had never burned his body, and I was beginning to wonder how important that fact was.