Chapter 3

Inside it was like a church, which was quite ironic seeing as I couldn't even say 'God' without choking. There were thick stone spires and chandeliers that hung from the ceiling in glittery tear drops. The ceiling was high, with pictures of cherubs painted on it and words in Latin done by a delicate hand. A man with a piercing red gaze sat in a stone chair at the front. A woman with blonde hair was glaring at me with her greenish eyes, her long black gown kissing her ankles.

   The pale faces carried on staring at me as Violet pushed me forward, their eyes like a rainbow of colours. Blue, red, green/brown and gray and all the colours in-between.

   Whispers and mutters followed me as I carried on walking, determined to block out their stares. Violet whispered in my ear.

   “Bow down to Lord Phoenix.”

   “But-“

   “Just do it!” She hissed. I did what I was told. Mainly because Violet was scary when she was mad. So, I got down on the cold floor and tried not too look into ‘Lord Phoenix’s’ eyes. The room was perfectly silent. I could almost see the tumbleweed.

   He put out an old wrinkled hand and touched my shoulder, closing his eyes.

   I felt the held breaths of millions of people as Phoenix shuddered and opened his eyes again.

   “Hunter...” He murmured.

   I let out a breath as everyone around me started whispering and muttering. I sat down in shock. I was vampire hunter. A vampire who hunted vampires, how ironic I thought.

   Violet put a gentle hand on my shoulder, her eyes solemn. What was wrong? I didn’t understand.

   “You are dismissed.” Said Phoenix, voice loud and defiant. I couldn’t help but to be shocked that such a voice came out of some one so-so…frail.

   People rose from the stone pews, whispering and babbling to each other. All accept one person.

   He stood up and strode over to where we were standing, His red eyes glistening with something that looked like rage. He was a flame amongst the others, each step he took strong and defiant.

   As he got closer, something seemed familiar but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

   His hair was the colour of treacle, a kind of blond/brown and tousled. His mouth was set in a hard line and his eyebrows were pulled down.

   “My lord, what are you doing? You can’t send a newborn out there!” He said his voice strong and unwavering.

   Lord Phoenix held up a shrivelled hand, his face weary.

   “The decision is final my hunter. You would not be wise to argue with me” He said, voice quiet yet threatening.

   “But-”

   Violet, who was still standing there, shot him a stop talking now look. “Damen! ” She hissed. Oh! I remembered who he was!

   He held up a hand to silence Violet. She looked like she was about to argue, but Damen addressed Lord Phoenix again.

   “You and I both know she won’t last a second Up Top. She will die!” He spat, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

   “That is not my problem.” Said Lord Phoenix, waving his hands as if to tell them to leave.

   Damen held his ground. I let out a groan “This is suicidal!” He shouted, trembling with rage.

   “Well then, if you care so much my hunter, then maybe you should train her!” He yelled, his expression filled with so much rage. The woman stepped forward and opened her mouth to speak.