Chapter 5

Damen’s eyes followed me as I slowly trudged to get a cloth and soaked it in the bucket. His eyes were unreadable, but he kept staring at me as I picked up a cloth and the nearest weapon. Which happened to be a super heavy long sword.

   It was too heavy, and came crashing down on my foot, chopping it off. I screamed a blood curdling scream, waiting for the blood to come pouring out. But it didn’t. My food joined itself back together again with a sizzle and I felt no pain.

   Damen was at my side while I stared at my foot.

   “Are you O.K?” he asked softness in his eyes despite cold attitude earlier. I nodded, looking up to his face. Suddenly, the warmth there had gone, and his face turned stony.

   All he said was “Be careful next time. You might break the sword.”

   The sword? The freaking sword? What about my foot!

   So, I spent the next few hours doing the boring chore of cleaning all the weapons, all the while getting glares from Annabelle. She battered her eyelashes at Damen the whole time. He ignored her, slouching, uncaring against the corner of the room. I snorted quietly.

   100 whips, 100 swords and 100 looks from Damen later, he got up and announced we could go.

   “You’d better get to your first lesson then.” He said, wearily. My eyes almost popped out of my head as I heard the word ‘lesson’. Why had Violet failed to tell me I started today?

   “Our what? I have no idea where I'm supposed to go for anything, let alone what lessons I actually have!” I all but yelled. He shrugged.

   “Not my problem” He said. I wanted to throttle him, but somehow I think he’d floor me.

   “Fine. I'm sure Raphael will help me” I said in my sweetest voice. He mumbled something that sounded like ‘I bet he will’

    He left me confused as he went back up the stone steps, but not before Annabelle gave him yet another flirtatious smile. I rolled my eyes.

   “Well, I I’ve got a class later. Bye loser. And remember. Damen’s mine” She said, turning on her heel and strutting up the steps, leaving me lonely.

   I heard some more footsteps, except they were coming down the stairs. I sighed. Annabelle come to give me a piece of her mind?

   But no. Raphael’s pale face and dark hair came into view. He was carrying a large wooden crate full of…blood?

   “Evangeline? What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at a lesson?”

   I threw my arms in the air “Well, no-one bothered to explain it to me!”

  “Oh, of course! I meant to give you this…” He pulled a crumpled up timetable out of his pocket.

  1st period—Physical fitness

   2nd period—History of the vampire.

   3rd period— defence and how to keep yourself alive.

   4th period—Protecting a partner in combat

   LUNCH/FEEDING

   5th period-- Elemental studies (Light)

   6th period—Hunter training

   7th period—vampire culture

   8th period—art