Chapter 7

Raphael was organising a tray full of metal equipment when we walked in. He cringed when he saw Damen’s leg and gestured to the bed for him to lie down.

   Raphael sighed “What happened this time?”

   “She stabbed me.” Damen said, pointing at me. I hung my head in shame.

   “I'm sorry to hear that.” Raphael said, sombrely. As soon as Damen was looking away he winked at me, making me giggle.

   “I'm glad my pain amuses you.” Said Damen, irritated. I laughed again.

   Raphael pulled out a sparkly liquid that was a neon green colour. It looked toxic.

   “This may sting a little...”

   Raphael spread the liquid over Damen’s cut while he laid there, expression blank. He didn’t even flinch. Probably because he was so badass.

   The skin slowly healed, and the blood stopped flowing. All that was left was a shiny pink scar where the hole had been. I think the human world could really use things like this! But then I suppose they’d find out about us and hunt us.

   “There you go.” Said Raphael. Damen nodded his thanks and stood up, walking as though he’d never been stabbed.

   “How does it feel?” I asked.

   “Like I haven’t been stabbed by an inexperienced vampire.” He shot back. Wow, that actually stung a little. I mean, I know I'm inexperienced, but I don’t need it saying to me by my supposed tutor. Regret flashed across his face.

   “I'm sorry, that was uncalled for,” He apologised, eyebrows drawn over his eyes, a bit like he was confused. “I think we have art together. Do you want me to take you?” He asked in a much friendlier tone. He seemed to be trying to make up for his earlier comment.

   “Um…sure?” I said uneasily. I could really get used to this nice Damen!

   I watched as Damen walked out of the medic room without a glance back.

   “Thanks Raphael…” I muttered. He awarded me with a dazzling smile that reached his eyes. He really did have a nice smile…

   “Evangeline? Are you coming?” Called Damen from the hallway.

   I hurried to catch up with Damen as he carried on walking.

   Damen ended up leading me into the brightest classroom I had ever seen in my life.

   The colours were almost blinding: Red, blue, yellow, and the colours seemed to clash, but in a good way. Paper models so complex, hung from the wall, and a dark haired teacher with the biggest pair of glasses I had ever seen stood at the front of the classroom. I don’t even know why she was wearing them, because vampires didn’t need glasses.

   As if reading my thoughts, Damen answered my unspoken question “Mrs Marvolo thinks they look good.”

   I giggled quietly before sitting behind one of the cream canvases next to Damen. He went and got me some paints and paintbrushes, setting them in front of me. Why on earth was he being so kind to me? It was actually creeping me out a little. Where was the cold-hearted jerk I knew?

   “Right, I want you all to start on your inspirational sketch. You may do whatever you like, As long as it has something to do with vampire culture. We are vampires of course!” She said, before twirling and giggling manically, her huge blue eyes looking sliiiightly insane.

   “Well duh!” I murmured under my breath. Damen let out a snort next to me.

   “Something wrong you two?” Said Mrs Marvolo, all innocent looking. I shook my head and mumbled out an apology.