Breath of Fresh Air

Start from the beginning

The small bedroom of the cottage I was staying in was cozy, much smaller than my bedroom in either my LA or London house, but somehow felt more like home to me. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was where I was supposed to be.

I rolled over, pulling the covers off me and placing my bare feet on the wood floor as I peered out the window. There were two sparrows sitting on the tree branch just outside the window, and I watched them for a few minutes before I looked down at the birds tattooed on my chest and smiled to myself. I stood up, making my way to the small bathroom to brush my teeth before I headed down to the kitchen for my morning cup of tea.

I had vowed to completely cut myself off from most forms of communication for the next four months, telling everyone they could only reach me via e-mail, but I had promised my Mum I'd call her when I got settled to let her know I was okay. I knew eventually I'd probably have her and my sister come for a visit, but for now I really just needed to disconnect and use the time to get in touch with myself again.

I put the kettle on before I used the house phone to call her, knowing if I turned on my iphone I would be bombarded with messages I'd feel compelled to answer. She answered after a few rings and I smiled at the sound of her voice when she picked up.

"Hi Mum, it's me." I smiled.

"Finally, you call your mother!" She laughed. "How are you, love?"

"It's only been three days, Mum." I chuckled. "I'm really well. I've slept most of the time since I got here, I feel well rested."

"Well lord knows you needed it. How's the place? Where are you again?"

"It's beautiful, just what I need. You can tell Gem she did good." I smiled. "Canada is amazing."

"Yes, Harry. I know you're in Canada. But Canada is a big place." She laughed. "You think I'm gonna sell you out to the paps or something?"

"No, Mum." I laughed. "You wouldn't know the town if I told you, it's a small town in British Columbia called Lily Ridge. It's about four hours from Vancouver."

"Sounds lovely, I know Vancouver is absolutely gorgeous. I visited you on tour there last year remember?"

"Of course I remember. I fell in love with it too, that's why I asked Gem to find me a place in BC."

"Well, I'm glad you're getting the break you wanted honey. You'll have to send me pictures of your place! What's the town like? Have you been out much?"

"Not really, I went for a walk yesterday for a while but tried to stay away from town. I'm a little nervous to be around people cause I don't wanna get recognized and throw it all out the window. It was really nice to just walk around in the forest and not see anyone though."

"I'm so glad for you, Harry. You need a bit of normal back in your life. I can't wait to see it." She said, relief clear in her voice.

"Yeah, I think this will be really good. It's a bit strange, so quiet and I don't have a schedule, but I like it so far."

"That's wonderful to hear, love. Is this the number I can reach you at?"

"Yeah, this is the house line. I won't be turning on my cell so you can call me here. Please don't give the number to anyone but Gem. I'm really trying to cut myself off here." I chuckled.

"I know, honey. We'll do our best to leave you alone. I miss you terribly already though." She sighed.

"I miss you too, Mum. Summer here is beautiful, I'll have you guys out for a visit. Just need to get my feet under me a little bit here first."