Prologue

A/N: Spoilers ahead if you haven't read my first book "TWO"!

Calendula leaves and petals have been applied to reduce inflammation and as an antiseptic against infections on many men and women across Panem in richer Districts for years. The leaves itself reduces the swelling of tracker jacker stings and can reconstruct an open wound with the proper alixar.

These leaves were once harvested in District Thirteen before the bombs destroyed much of the land. The leaves that they had gathered before the explosions were held under confinement in the capitol, where many scientists explored the different ways to heal wounds of all sorts. In the past, they have tried to create a serum that could withstand many obstacles and possibly heal people at such a fast rate, they never truly injure themselves to begin with.

During the 73rd Hunger Games, all 24 tributes were given a tracker. This tracker contained a bullet sized capsule that which upon death, would release the serum and in time would allow the heart to continuing pumping blood; despite the tribute being pronounced as dead. The serum would then release a chemical that would allow any wound to heal itself and distort the memory of the tribute dying. This however, failed and all 23 tributes that did not survive the 73rd games passed away once they had reached the capitol, leaving scientists disgruntled and confused.

It wasn't until a medic in District Two by the name Elina Rivers, discovered a serum that could possibly work. Elina decided to test the serum on herself; injecting the capsule into her skin days prior to her death by suicide at work, which at the time, seemed like an accident. When the Peacekeepers discovered what had happened, Mr. Thomson, the head Peacekeeper, was ordered to confiscate any evidence. Mr. Thomson discovered Mrs. Rivers had created the serum that could possibly change the future of any games and life itself. He then delivered the information back to Snow. Once Snow had been informed of this new discovery he decided to test it on the tributes of the 74th games, but not until Mrs. Rivers had woken up in her hospital bed weeks after her death.

Mrs. Rivers was then arrested for her secret work and forced to cooperate with the capitol through a hijacking process. During the process they murdered Mr. Rivers for helping his wife follow through her research in their homes greenhouse, took away any memory Mrs. Rivers had with her daughter, and began creating more of the serum.

Before the tributes were sent to the tube launch, they each received the tracker with the capsule inside the hovercraft. This tracker monitored their brain waves, heart rate, and was also obviously used as a GPS. After the bloodbath, fallen tributes we're taken by the hovercraft back into the capitol, where scientists anxiously waited for them to wake up; but none of them did. At least not for a very long time, which allowed scientists to conclude that the serum treated tributes in different ways depending on their wounds.

The first one awake was a boy from nine, who had died from a stab wound in his back. Later, came the rest. Every tribute awakened shortly after the Quarter Quell had ended. Most tributes had little memory left about what had happened before and during the games, making it easy for Snow to mutate them into killing machines and prepare them for the war against the Mockingjay.

However, with every great success, there is always a flaw in the system. This flaw happened to be Clove Rivers.

"Everything seemed to be a blur. Only vague images of blood splattering on my face and a feeling of rage seemed to come back; jealousy too. I knew I had killed people, most of which stand before me; unaware of what I had done to them. What the others had done to them. What the capitol had forced us to do. And for the first time since the start of all of this, Katniss didn't seem like the bad guy, Snow did."

A/N: Chapter One will not be posted until my first story TWO has been complete! Thank you for all the support and I can't wait to start this next Clove adventure with all of you!