Chapter Five

Propaganda.

That's what Snow is having us do.

Jackie said that last weekend there was a glitch in our systems and some how Katniss's army appeared on the screen. Now Snow wants me and some other tributes to recite some cruel words in order to frighten the others, but in my opinion, I don't think it will do much damage.

Until I saw Peeta.

Peeta eyes are bloodshot, face bruised, and his lip split open. However, his knuckles are crisp clean, which means that Snow allowed people to have their way with him.

The idea makes my stomach turn, unsure as to why he would want to damage such an important role in this whole war.

Katniss loves Peeta.

"Alright, everyone in line." orders a Peacekeeper. His rifle points at us as we single-filed line walk to the cameras.

Jackie is first, looking into the lens with a dull expression, but forcing a smile when the camera man says action. Her voice is light and sweet, rephrasing whatever was meant to be said in a very mature manner. When her time is up, Glimmer is next with Cato, whom I haven't talked in four days.

The camera man compliments Glimmer's styled curly blonde hair and proposes she wore red lipstick to bring out her white pantsuit more. Cato remains as still as a statue while his prep team continues their magic. When he casts his eyes in my direction I look away and pretend to be occupied with someone else and to my luck, Marvel saves me.

"Clover," he smiles, "ready for this propaganda stuff?"

"Do I have a choice in the saying?"

"Not really," Marvel shrugs, then looks at Glimmer and Cato. His demeanor changes drastically as he steps a bit closer to me.

"You alright?" I whisper, but he just nods.

After Cato and Glimmer finish their video, I'm up next.

The bright light blinds me as I stand in front of the white backdrop. The camera man smiles politely and I blow a piece of hair outta my face, "Clove could you stand up a bit straighter?"

"I am," I deadpan.

"She's just short," Marvel chuckles. I shoot him a glare then cross my arms.

"Can we just film this thing?"

"Sure," the camera man counts down with his fingers and then the red light flashes indicating that he's recording.

My mind does a flip as I try to remember the first start of the speech, "Good afternoon. My name is Clove Rivers and I come from District Two. Home of the many victors and finest masonry. I was in the 74th Hunger Games, but I am here now and I'm order to instruct all rebellion actions to seize. Snow has a plan, and if you-"

"Cut!" yells the camera man and I look at him.

"What did I do wrong?" I hiss.

"You're too monotone, try having more spice."

"Spice?"

"Well your name is Clove." The cameraman winks at me then waves his fingers around, "From the top."

"Wait." a deep voice interjects. Cato steps forwards, his white suit reflecting the bright flourescent lights everywhere, "I'll do it with her. If they watched the games, they know that we are pretty fearful."

"They also thought you two were in love," the cameraman coo's in a sarcastic manner, but Cato brushes it off and steps up next to me.

My white dress next to his white suit is bright as ever, and his blue eyes are radiant from every direction, not to mention the highlight on my cheekbones that was put on to give me more of a structure.

"Alright, whenever you two are ready," the cameraman instructs.

When the red light on the camera flashes red, Cato puts a hand on my shoulder and looks down at me, I glance up at him only for a minute before speaking, "Good afternoon. My name is Clove Rivers."

"And I am Cato Rauls," Cato adds.

"We are from District Two, home of the many victors-"

"And finest masonry." Cato interjects again.

I clear my throat, " We were in the 74th Hunger Games, but we are here now and ordered to instruct all rebellion actions to seize. Snow has a plan, and if you do not follow his laws, consequences will be in action."

"We don't want to see anyone hurt. We have lost too many already. More death is more destruction to families all across Panem. If we stand together, we live together. I know how it feels to lose someone you love-" My body tenses up as Cato lowers his hand to my hand and squeezes, but regardless he keeps speaking, "and I can promise you that standing down will prevent more harm."

When the cameraman finally calls cut, Cato's clammy hand let's go of mine and I stay still, mouth dry.

"That.." the cameraman start, "That was perfect. Absolutely perfect. Cato how clever."

"It was a last-minute idea." Cato nods, looking at me.

"Thanks." I mumble, stepping off to the side so Marvel can appear on stage.

Cato follows slowly behind, then crosses his arms to look at me, "Are we going to speak to each other or keeping hiding behind glances?"

"What do you mean?" I hiss, glancing at Marvel as he fixes his suit coat that similar to Cato's.

"Nothing," Cato sighs then rubs his jaw, "Look, about what I said-"

"It doesn't matter. You were right."

"I was? I mean, I was. You're right, but maybe we should take that into consideration."

"What?" I look at him and narrow my eyes.

"If we hardly remember anything about each other, maybe we could try learning each other all over again. I mean, you're obviously just as skilled as I am, which means we're going to have to spend a lot of time with each other."

"So you want to get to know me all over again?"

"Exactly," Cato whispers now, only because Marvel began his speech.

"Alright," I whisper back with a small nod, then purse my lips. "My name is Clove."

"Cato," he sticks out a hand for me to shake and I lightly grab on. "Cato Rauls."

"I've heard some things about you Rauls," I hum, shaking his hand.

"As I you, Rivers." 

MEMORY (DISCONTINUED)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara