1) Stiff

Tobias

I walk into the compound content. Caleb stopped the simulation. My mother chose me. I gave Marcus the worst punishment I could ever give him, me not caring about him, forgetting him. And Tris. I can finally be with Tris properly, instead of darting from war zone to war zone with her. My Tris is not pretty, no that word is too small for what she is. My Tris is beautiful and stunning and brave and selfless and everything I want to be, and everything she helps me to be.

"Where is everyone?" Amar says.

We walk through the abandoned security checkpoint without stopping. On the other side, I see Cara. The side of her face is badly bruised, and there's a bandage on her head, but that is not what concerns me. What concerns me is the troubled look on her face.

"What is it?" I say.

Cara shakes her head.

"Where's Tris?" I say.

"I'm sorry, Tobias."

"Sorry about what?" Christina says roughly. "Tell us what happened!" 

"Tris went into the weapons lab instead of Caleb," Cara says. "She survived the death serum, and set off the memory serum, but she . . . she was shot. And she's in unconscious. I'm so sorry."

Something inside me breaks and I just stand still. Christina asks where she is but I'm just standing still. I don't get it. Until I realise that of course Tris would go into the weapons lab instead of Caleb. She was too selfless and probably couldn't bear the guilt of delivering her own brother to his execution, like he had done her.

But Tris can't die on me. She is my rock and I can't deal with her being gone from me, forever. I think I walk to the infirmary, but and I know is that I pray to whatever God is up there listening that Tris survives.

Tris

The only thing I feel after my mother takes me is an ugly sense of peace. It's just all darkness and no light. I didn't think that this was death, this lack of everyone I love.

But I can hear talking. I shouldn't hear talking if I'm dead.

I can hear people talking. I shouldn't hear people talking if I'm dead.

I can hear Tobias talking. I shouldn't hear Tobias talking if I'm dead.

Tobias. 

Tobias.

He is crying. Why is he crying?

Tobias

Her body is too pale, too fractured to be my Tris. But it is and I can't bear it. I touch her, too cold, lay my head on her heart, too quiet, and kiss her lips, too stiff.

"Please Tris," I hear myself say over the silent roaring in my head. "Please Tris, don't go. I can't live without you. I love I have loved you since you came into my life. You were so brave, my darling  first jumper and that breathless smile when you rolled of the net warmed my heart. You weren't afraid of me. You are the most Dauntless girl, person, I have ever met and I need you to know that I love you, and will always love you. So don't leave me, okay?"

A small tear escapes my eye. It leaves a watery train track down my cheek and lands on the tip of her nose. Adorable. The flutter of of her eyelashes is cute. The flinch of her old body as the bead of salty water tickles her still face is even cuter.

I don't know how long I sit there, staring, but I sense the others leaving me to my Tris. My head again finds itself on hers and I crawl into the itchy sheets beside her. I rest my arm around her, careful not to hurt her. And then she kisses my cheek. Nothing big, just sweet and kind and loving. Sobs wracking my body, I hold her tight and don't let go...

Author's Note-

Hey! This is the first story that I am properly going to finsish. Please vote and comment! That sort of thing really spurs me on!