Chapter 1

• soda will not die in this book since its technically before my last one, but Dally and Johnny still live with them. Also, Catherine and David don't live here yet •
I walked down the road with Dallas and Sodapop. We were heading for the Nightly Double, and I knew for a fact that Dally wouldn't leave without a fight. We went in under the fence, and quickly found some seats in the back row. Dally sat against the wall, then Soda, then me. A couple of girls came over, and a pretty one with wavy black hair sat down beside me. I shifted towards Soda, giving him a helpless look. "They're Greasers too, Johnnycake. You'll be fine," Soda laughed quietly. Dally had moved to hit on the brunette, and Soda took the blonde. I looked over at the girl beside me, my cheeks red. She smiled at me, her light brown eyes looking dead at me. "Hey, I'm Jessica, but you can call me Jess." The girl said. "I'm.. Uh.. Johnny. You can call me that I guess." I laughed nervously. She giggled, scooting closer to me. (Holy frick Johnny you work fast) I shifted over again, but this time towards Jess. She smiled at me, then we looked over at the others. Dally was hitting on Jess' sister, Leah. I rolled my eyes. "Typical Dal." I muttered to Jess. Soda was talking quietly with the other girl, but I knew that he wouldn't go for her. Sandy was still with him, and he wouldn't dare cheat on her. Jess grabbed my hand, dragging me off. I followed with a laugh, and we ran out of the building and toward a kind of dark corner of the building. Jess climbed up a ladder, and I followed. When reaching the top of the building, you could see that the movie was much clearer up here. Jess sat on the edge of the building, and I sat down beside her. She smiled at me again, which made my cheeks turn red. I put my arm around her shoulders, and she leaned on me. "Johnny, you're not half bad." She laughs quietly. "What's that supposed to mean?" She thought for a few moments, then looked up. "There's some girls that say you're mean and cold because of being beat all the time, but I can tell you're kind, and nothing like their descriptions." She whispered. I smiled, laying down on the roof. She put her head on my chest, looking up at the stars. "You're a pretty cool girl, Jess." I murmured, closing my eyes. She laughed softly, scooting closer to me and closing her eyes. I didn't go to sleep, just lay there with my arm around her.
"Johnny, snap out of it!" Dal yelled, punching my arm. I jumped, glaring at him. "What was that for?"
"You were staring at some girl and her friends." Soda laughed. That was a dream? Come on! I thought, kicking at the gravel. Dally lead us into the Movie House, and we took our seats. We sat down beside those girls, but I sat farthest away this time. Not letting any more dreams trick me. We watched the movie in silence, and walked out behind the girls when it was over. I kept my eyes on Jess, and she turned around to look at me once. My face turned red, or pink, couldn't really tell. Jess smiled, and my eyes went wide. "Dal.." I whispered when she turned back around. "What, man?" He asked, looking over at me. I pointed to Jess again, and he smirked at me. "You've got it bad, man." (Cmon Dally stop saying Man) I rolled my eyes, looking back up. The girls were now being cornered by a small group of Socs. "Johnny stay back." Soda muttered, pulling out his switchblade. Dally did the same, but I pulled mine out too. We walked over, making our way in front of the girls and facing the Socs. They looked down at our blades, taking a step back. "Stupid Greasers." One muttered, walking off. The other two glared at us, not moving. "You get out of here, white trash." Dally snapped. He took a step up, lifting his knife to the kid's face. "Take your stupid friend and get out of here, unless you want your next stop to be the hospital." I glanced back at Jess, and gave her a sympathetic look when I saw the fear on her face. Jess smiled back at me, and my heart seemed to melt on spot. Dal and Soda ran the others off, and I faced the girls. "You guys alright?" I asked. The older girls nodded, and Jess looked away. "They didn't hurt us none, just frightened us."
Her voice was soft, and really pretty. Just like her. Not soft, you could tell this girl was tough like us. Dal and Soda walked back over, their blades shoved back into their pockets now. I put mine away too. "So, do you guys need a walk home?" Soda asked. They nodded, and we started to walk towards our neighborhood. Jess started slowing down, walking beside me. "I'm Jess, you?" She whispered. "Johnny." I mumbled back.
"What's wrong?" Jess looked back over at me. I returned her gaze, and noticed she was blushing. I gave a small smile, then began to study her more closely. She wore a red tank top that was longer in the back, black jeans and black combat boots. Her hair was wavy, and a strand was pinned back out of her face. She was about my height, too. Jess shivered, looking up. "It's really cold out here.."
"Here, take my jacket." I offered, taking off my jean jacket. I put it around her shoulders, and she smiled. "Thanks, Johnny." She put it on, and smiled at me again. Soda glanced back at me, smirking. I rolled my eyes, turning back to Jess. "Do you live with them?" She asked quietly. I nodded, "Me, Dally, Soda, and his two brothers live together." She nodded, "Me and Leah live with our mother, and the girl your friend Soda was talking to is Leah's best friend."
We walked for a few more minutes, then we reached their friends house. She smiled at Soda then went inside. Dally and I walked the sisters home. Leah walked right inside, not looking back at us. Jess turned and looked at me, her cheeks red. "I had a nice time talking to you tonight," She smiled. I smiled back, my face turning red like hers. "I did too, do you want to meet up at the lot sometime?"
"I'll be there tomorrow if you will!" She laughed. I laughed too, then looked back at her. "You can keep the jacket if you want.." Jess looked at the jacket on her shoulders, smiling widely. Gosh, I didn't think she could smile any wider. "You'll get it back eventually!"
Jess went inside, and I walked back over to Dally. "You like her, don't you Johnny?" He asked after we walked in silence for a little while. "I mean, she's really nice, and she seems to like me, I don't know.. Maybe?" Dally laughed, playfully slugging my shoulder. "Cut it out Dal, don't act like you didn't have fun with Leah." He rolled his eyes. Soda jumped in just then, I had forgotten he was there. "You guys actually have a chance with them, I'm still with Sandy!"
We reached the house around midnight, and when we walked in, Darry was on his feet. "Where have you three been?" Soda rolled his eyes. "We told you that we were going to the Movie House, Dar." Darry backed off, going to his room. Dally and I went back to where we stayed, and I jumped on the bed. Dally changed out of his shirt, jumping on the bed beside me. I lay down on one side, facing the wall that had the window. He faced the other way, the wall with the door. "Night Dal," I mumbled. He didn't respond, so I guessed he was already asleep. I closed my eyes, slowly going to sleep. I couldn't really sleep though, since Pony and Soda were talking. Since their room was right next to ours, I threw my shoe at the wall and yelled "go to sleep!" They shut up after that.