Then Noah said, "While we're at it, can I ask you something too?"

"Of course."

Noah turned to his side, facing the other bed. He couldn't see much in the darkness, just the faint outlines of Jaden's light hair and shoulder.

"Do you know who your father is?"

Noah heard Jaden taking a deep breath. "I do. However, I'm not ready to . . ."

"It's all right," Noah said. "I get it."

***

Yanked from a dreamless slumber by the shudder-inducing sound of teeth grinding, Noah glared at the other bed. A nightmare again.

"Jaden, wake up."

Grunting, Noah dragged himself to the other side of the room, where Jaden's back faced him, trembling and thrashing with the occasional spasm.

"Wake up!" Noah squeezed his shoulder.

Jaden rolled and pushed him away, eyes open but still terrified. He kept pushing Noah away as he wriggled himself from the bed and to his feet. "We already told you everything," he whispered frantically, "but you won't listen . . . Stop hurting her!"

He made for giving Noah one more violent shove, but Noah clasped his wrists mid-movement, and after a brief struggle they clumsily fell to the floor.

"It's over," Noah said as Jaden panted. "You're safe."

After a shaky breath that was nearly a sob, his shoulders sagged, and Noah released his arms slowly.

"They ripped out my teeth," Jaden said, a shaky hand going to his lips.

"You're fine." Noah wished he felt as confident as he sounded.

After a moment's hesitation, Noah asked, "A girl in your dream, you said to stop hurting her. Who was she?"

Jaden shook his head. "I don't know. I never saw her. But in the dream I knew her, and they were torturing her."

"Who's they?" Noah asked.

"I wish I knew."

***

In the middle of the afternoon, they swerved from the road for a brief pause by the Fel River. According to Noah's map, they were a little more than halfway to the port city of Clearwater.

"Great food and ale to be had in Clearwater," Dharkan said as he chewed his snack of heavily salted and spiced dried meat, seated with Kitera and Jaden by the fire.

Down by the shore, Noah was filling up their water skins, whilst the horses quenched their thirst.

Save for Dharkan's horse, that is, Jaden realized. Xephos, he was called. A tall black stallion, Xephos made even Bolt seem unimpressive, and had scant use for water or food.

And, of course, another perk: no stable fees. When no longer needed, Xephos conveniently disappeared and returned in the form of a small equine tattoo upon Dharkan's ankle. Yes, the demon lottery had certainly favored Dharkan with luck.

As though he knew he was being thought of, Xephos trotted closer to the three of them, his intelligent, marble-like black eyes staring hard at Jaden.

"He doesn't like you," Dharkan explained.

Jaden swallowed uneasily. "I'm truly sorry he feels that way."

Kitera sprang to her feet. "Jaden, may I have a word, please?"

None too saddened to escape from Xephos' vicinity, Jaden nodded and followed her as they walked a short distance. Gravel crunching underfoot, the broad waters of the Fel stretching to their left. The sun blazed fiercely in a cloudless sky, softening the bite of the brisk autumn wind.

Kitera cut to the chase, "I've devised a strategy."

Jaden ignored the guilt lancing his chest. "Let's hear it."

"Tonight," she said, "we shall get them both completely drunk, allowing you to steal the catalyst. From Clearwater, you'll take the night ferry, then ride to Veicira without pause if you can. By the time they wake up tomorrow, you should be long gone and well on your way to the castle."

"It could work," Jaden said quietly. "Although, what if our friends are not thirsty?"

"Trust me, they'll be thirsty," Kitera said.

"No backup plan, then?"

"This will work, Jaden," Kitera stressed.

He halted and she did the same, her long brown curls dancing in the wind, dark eyes lost in the river.

"I take it you're staying with them," Jaden said.

She avoided his gaze. "The queen instructs me to keep my cover intact, if possible."

So I get to be the bad guy. 

"Of course, I understand."