52 | P O I S O N

"I PICKED UP SOME DIFFERENT food on the way here. You didn't really tell me what you wanted to eat so I kind of just stopped at whatever I passed. The burger and fries are for me. Alexander wanted the nuggets with fries and Elijah told me to get him whatever so the two of you can decide on who gets what. There's a bunch of stuff to choose from so have at it, yeah?"

Greysen placed the multiple bags of food on the table and sighed before sitting down beside me, patting my back gently and looking up at the ceiling. Strands of hair swayed back and forth in front of my eyes and my grip on the bottle of moonshine tightened. The wall in front of me was entirely white and I hated how perfect it looked. I wanted to mess it up, stain it, anything to make it any less perfect than I was.

"Look, man, you can't keep moping around like we don't have things to do. I know you're hurting but you did what you had to and now it's time to move on. Running off with her was a fantasy, Harry, it couldn't become a reality. Turning her in was the right thing. We're safe again. The threat against us is gone."

I did not say anything and continued to ignore him, irritated that he was not bothered by this at all. While we were up here, free to go wherever we pleased, she was on the basement floor, locked away and always being watched by guards until someone could figure out what to do with her. They were not going to kill her right away, no matter how many times she begged, though. It was too late for her. Now that she was here, there was no way for her to get out without getting caught. I could have turned the gun on Elijah but I just refused. Something in me told me not to shoot him and I hated myself for it.

Greysen sat back in his chair and rubbed the back of his neck, "I tried preventing this from happening, I really did. But the two of you just kept getting closer and closer to each other. I had to give up eventually. What was I to do? You're stubborn and that's not a good trait to have, for obvious reasons."

He tried patting me on the back again but I stood up, shoving his hand away from me and walking over to the table, snatching one of the bags of food and walking over to the staircase. The basement was two floors below me but I was determined. Who knew what they were feeding her down there, if they were even feeding her at all? She had to be starving and I was not going to eat until she had something herself.

If she was willing to starve herself, so was I.

Practically running down the stairs, my grip tightened on the bag of food and the smell of cheeseburgers and french fries filled my nostrils. I passed by several people on my way to the basement—some smiling at me and others looking at me in pure disgust. Why were they so bothered? I did what they wanted me to do. Sydney was now in custody and it was my fault. There was a chance for me to get us out of that situation but I refused to take it. How could I betray her like that? Sure, she never told me about what was actually going on with her but she did that to keep me safe. What I did put her life at risk. They were going to kill her eventually and her spirit was going to haunt me for the rest of my days.

The door to the basement opened without a problem and I stepped inside, straightening my posture and trying to pretend I did not smell like I swam in a pool of whiskey. There was only one guard on post at the moment and he nodded his head once he saw me. I returned the gesture and showed him the bag of food. When he took a step forward, I shook my head and told him, "I'll take it to her."

"Now, you know that isn't—"

"I'll take it to her."

He sighed but stepped to the side, allowing me to pass and take the food to her. My footsteps echoed down the narrow hall as I walked by many empty cells. A feeling of uneasiness overwhelmed me and my chest felt as if it was closing in on itself. I knew she was not going to want to see me but I had to try. She had to know I meant for none of this to happen. We were supposed to make it out but I ran out of time. The moment I first laid eyes on her, I should have taken her away then and there.