53 | I M A G I N A T I O N

FROM THE MOMENT I OPENED my eyes, I knew something was wrong. I was no longer laying on the living room floor...no longer struggling to breathe...no longer wondering where it had all gone wrong and no longer staring at her unconscious body being dragged against the carpet by her ankles. Instead, I was looking up at a white ceiling with multiple cracks and holes, indicating that wherever I was, it was old.

"Well, well, well," someone spoke up. "It's about time you decided to open your eyes and join us."

I recognized his voice immediately and was suddenly fighting back an intense feeling of panic. I threw myself forward, only to find myself restrained from doing much movement. My eyes frantically looked around the room, spotting only a metal table and a small chair a few feet away from it. Sydney was strapped down in a chair beside me, blinking furiously. Both of our hands were secured against the arms of the chairs we were sitting in.

"It is very nice to see the two of you together again."

I shrank back at the sound of the voice, confusion washing over me. God, how could it sound so familiar; yet, so unfamiliar at the same time? Who did the voice belong to and why was I struggling to figure it out? Sydney's eyes moved away from me and I followed her gaze, eyeing a man in the far corner of the room, his hands clasped behind his back. He was not facing us but I was able to make out some of his features.

He had salt and pepper hair and his shoulders slouched, indicating he was up in age. A brown suit covered most of his body and his black shoes were extremely shiny, expensive. Slowly, he turned around, a sinister smirk spreading across his face. Nothing about him seemed familiar but I felt like I knew him...like I knew I had to be afraid of him. There was something about him that made everything uneasy and I suddenly felt ten times smaller.

"It took you quite some time to wake up, Lucas," he continued. "I feared you weren't going to wake up, after all. I feared Cassandra had given you too much to put you to sleep." He stopped in his tracks and widened his smile. "However, you have awoken and my fears have been put to rest."

None of this was making any sense to me. Why was I strapped down to a chair? I understood why Sydney was here and why she, too, was strapped down. They wanted her but they never once said anything about me. What was the point of keeping me around? I did as I was told and I turned her in.

"What am I doing here?" I demanded. I was trying to sound strong but my voice came out weak and helpless.

The man laughed, "What do you think?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, "How should I know?"

He cleared his throat, "You'll find out soon enough; however, I'm intrigued. What's the last thing you remember, Lucas?"

"What do you think?" I sneered.

He grinned, "How should I know?"

My gaze dropped from his and went back to Sydney's. Her hands were balled up into fists and, despite how strong she was trying to look, I saw the fear in her bright, blue eyes. Her left foot constantly tapped against the floor and I knew she wanted to run. We both did. If we were not restrained, we would be on our feet trying to find a way out of here.

"Who are you?" she asked, surprising me completely. I thought she was going to stay mute.

The man clapped his hands together and sharply turned his head to look at her, "Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't even introduced myself. As none of my subjects have ever made it this far, you'll have to forgive me. I am Dr. Roberto Stanley. I used to be the head neurosurgeon at North Point Hospital, but now I am here. I've been here for a while, you see."