08 | S Y M P A T H Y

I LAID MY HEAD AGAINST THE cold, glass window and peacefully listened to the cars whizzing by and the customers chattering about whatever was going on with their lives. All of their conversations combined sounded like a new language I was not familiar with. I picked Clare's voice out of everyone's in the shop and listened to hers instead. Her voice was soothing and I would have closed my eyes and taken a quick nap if it was not for the fact that Harry was complaining somewhere off in the distance.

He had been doing this since Clare took his earphones. When we were back in the kitchen, the poor man was unable to find them but I did not bother to help him look for them. His music was distracting him, unfortunately, and Clare did what she believed was right. I was not going to go against her and give them back to him. The guy hated me and risking my job for him was not my priority.

It was eerie, seeing as how Harry always found a way to catch my attention. He did the simplest movements; yet, my eyes wanted to follow every single one. I read his body language—though it was very hard to do so—and somewhat understood why he was upset. He constantly had his earphones in his ears to listen to his esoteric music and he enjoyed every moment of it. I saw him with his music and I was intrigued. I barely listened to music but the way he moved about when listening to his made me want to listen to music more. Better yet, it made me want to listen to whatever the hell he was listening to.

I let out a tired sigh, looking up at him briefly and thinking back to when I first met this displeasing man. He was rude to me then, he was rude to me now. I knew I had not been around here long but I wished he would treat me with a little respect. Was it not obvious I had not planned on going anywhere anytime soon? He was quite oblivious to the situation.

His green eyes landed on me from across the room and he raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner. I could not look away from those hypnotizing eyes of this, though. They were so full of life...so green. I had seen this color plenty of times but staring into his eyes made the engine in my mind roar to life. My lips parted and millions of thoughts raced through my head. His eyes were making me think and I had no idea how I felt about it.

Different colors had different meanings. Red associated with war and danger. White equated with innocence and perfection. Blue linked with loyalty and wisdom. Yellow often related to something of high quality. Black was connected to death and formality. Every color had a meaning and some were the complete opposite of each other but green was a completely different story.

This was the color of growth, the color of spring, of renewal and rebirth. It renewed and restored depleted energy. It was the sanctuary away from stress. Green was a positive color, a natural peacemaker. It loved to observe, and therefore related to someone such as a good listener. It had strong emotional correspondence with safety and protection; it was the color of passage in road traffic. This color had great healing power and it was the most restful color for the human eye. Green was exactly what I needed.

I expected for Harry to smile at me but he did not. He had stopped smiling after I refused to help him look for his earphones. I thought he would have understood how important this job meant to me but I was wrong. He only muttered harsh words under his breath and went back to his little search. He was angry with me for not helping him. I supposed I could have helped him, but my mind made me choose otherwise.

It was my turn to raise my eyebrows when Harry started making his way toward me. I lifted my head off of the window and tried my best not to look so shocked. I thought it would be wise for us to keep our distance but this was happening. Harry was coming my way and I was letting him. It was not that I had much of a choice, though. A cat had officially ran off with my tongue and I allowed it to keep running. My tongue was long gone and I could not find it within me to speak. Harry stood beside me and looked out of the window like I had been doing for the past ten or so minutes. Clare did not have anything else for me to do and I had gotten bored. Looking at the different cars seemed to help the time pass by.