03 | W E L C O M E

CALM WAS THE LAST THING I could have been at this moment and unperturbed was right before it.

I made my way toward the herb shop, wondering about how this day was going to go and how I had managed to be on time for this when I was usually late for everything else. Even though I knew I was quite excited for this job, I was a little nervous with it being my first day. I had no idea how anything worked in this shop and I was eager to find out. I wanted to know what the older woman was going to tell and show me. I did not even know her name. How did I not know the name of the woman who hired me? I would definitely find out today. It would become my goal. I did not want to walk into the shop and act like I knew how to do everything...because that would be a lie. A big lie, to be exact.

As soon as I opened the door, a little bell jingled from above. I glanced at it and wondered when it had been put there. It sure as hell was not there yesterday evening when I arrived for the first time. I shrugged it off and stepped inside, letting the door shut behind me. The place was quiet like it was yesterday and I did not expect it be this way. Of course, the shop was small and it seemed to not get many customers, but I thought there would be someone out on the floor to greet me when I arrived.

The bell was no longer on the desk and I frowned. Where was it? I checked both sides of the desk but the bell seemed to have disappeared overnight. I cleared my throat and shoved my hands into the back pockets of my jeans.

"Hello?" I called out. "Is anyone here? It's Sydney!"

I expected for someone to come rushing out to meet me but no one did. The place was still silent. What was with this place? The same thing happened yesterday. Did they not know customers could just leave if no one was out here? Did they even think about the chances of getting robbed?

I sighed and tilted my head to the side. I worked here now and that meant I was allowed to step into the way back of the shop. My feet cautiously carried me to the back and I hoped I would not get into any trouble for doing this. My lips remained sealed and they felt as if they were glued shut. If I found someone back there, would I be able to speak to them? My heart was pounding and I could feel the palms of my hands begin to sweat.

I found myself walking into what looked like a small kitchen. The shop looked extremely small from the outside but now that I was actually walking around, it was much bigger than my eyes let on. A man was sitting at the small table in the room and his back was facing me. His dark hair was pinned up into a neat bun and every strand of his hair was perfectly in place. He did not seem to hear me enter and I cleared my throat, trying to get his attention. I immediately recognized the tattoos on his arms and knew him as Harry. He did not turn around when I cleared my throat and I tried it again.

My feet carried me to the other side of the table and I noticed he was listening to the music on his small iPod. Whatever he was listening to seemed to have his full attention. Still, he had not acknowledged my presence and this upset me. I waved my hand and he looked at it for a few seconds before looking back down at his little device. I sat down on the seat in front of him and watched him. He clearly saw me standing there, but he did not say a single word to me. I believed we were the only ones here. If so, how did Harry get in? Did every employee have a key? When was I going to get one, if that was true?

He was a very interesting man to watch. Even though he knew I was watching him, he acted as if he did not know at all. My eyebrows furrowed together as I watched him and I wanted to call him out for acting this way. The sight of him ignoring me made me want to interrupt whatever song he was listening to. I decided against it, though, because it was my first day here and I needed to be on everyone's good side, including Harry's.

His lips moved but no sound came out. I began to wonder if he was mouthing the lyrics to the song he was listening to. I placed my elbows on the table and put my chin on the palms of my hands, not taking my eyes away from the man before me. His eyes were stuck to his iPod but the screen was black. He was only staring at a black screen. I wondered if maybe he—