•Chapter 16•

Now Ryan heard everything and he's been giving me weird looks since he has.

Aren't I just the life of the party?

Ryan was slowly progressing what I had uncovered about myself. "So, that's why the cops came. So you let the rest of the school assume that they were going to arrest you? So that people could stay away from you?"

I locked eyes with him. His reaction tugged at my heartstrings. I muttered loud enough for him to hear in the quiet home of Gray and Ryan Miles. "I sat back and let the rumours do what they are known for, Ryan."

Ryan stared at me for the longest time. If I was being honest, my throat felt like it was closing up on itself and I tried to swallow without anyone noticing. Ryan was still looking at me and I pulled on my hair. I knew I looked horrible. My eyes were puffy and my nose was probably as red as my eyes were. I lowered my gaze from Ryan but even when I did, I shifted uncomfortably. I could still feel his stare.

"Can you stop that..." I whispered to him, looking down at my hands on my lap.

"I knew you were hiding something," Ryan muttered. He gripped his hair while looking up to the ceiling troubled with his eyes unfocused. "God, Julianna, I knew back when you told me the rough details it was bad and I knew I shouldn't push the matter further, but when you break down like that and freak out, I start to freak out-"

"Ryan." Grey cut in.

"-and I knew I shouldn't ask around because it wasn't anyone's business and they would probably start rumors again but it killed me sometimes when I would drift off to wonder what the hell happened to you and, Julianna, I'm still wondering why it occupied my thoughts so much but, I mean, working together kinda makes us friends and I don't know if you want to be my friend because I totally get it if you don't, I mean, I wouldn't hold it against you, I'm pretty bad sometimes-"

"Ryan." I almost laughed. So he rambles.

"Huh?" Ryan cut off his rant to look at me long enough to see my small smile. "What did I say?"

"S-Stop rambling." I smiled and looked off to the side to stop it from spreading across my face but the questions were: what did he not say? I sighed into the quietness of the house, a whisper of a smile left on my face. "Look. I'm not going to say I'm alright because that would be a lie but I will say that I'm dealing with my problems just like any other teenage kid. I've got it covered. No need to worry 'bout little ol' me."

Ryan fumed. I could see it. I angered him. What did I say wrong?

"Are you serious? Julianna! You just- I saw you- Are you being serious right now?" Even with his anger showing through his words, Ryan never raised his voice. He kept it levelled at the same volume.

I felt a flame form with that spark. "What do you mean 'Am I serious'? You think this is all just some act? Why do you care anyway?" My voice cracked as I asked but I cleared my throat hoping he wouldn't notice. "I've been going to school with you for years and all of a sudden you're going to care about me because you saw me have one of my minor panic attacks?"

Grey spoke up with his pointer finger aimed at me. "If I may, Ryan didn't know you before. As I've said, his world only revolves around one person."

I shrunk a little in Grey's words. I knew that already. He didn't have to remind me.

Ryan gave a side glare at his uncle but it didn't have as much anger behind it like the look he had given me when he asked if I was serious. Ryan sighed and surprised all of us when he looked up at the ceiling, turned around, and left.