P R O L O G U E

Minato's hand lacked circulation for the most part as his beloved wife continued to dig her nails into his tender flesh, her palm warm against his ongoing loss of sensation. Two babies were entering this world via her, so the pain was well understood. He'd felt this once before, though not quit as tightly, during the birth of their first son. Menma, a black haired lad, stood next to his father and gingerly squeezed the hand that was not contained in his mother's vice grip. He shivered, not appreciating the crisp air of that October day, as he nervously watched his mum bring about new life.

Menma Uzumaki was the same age as the older Uchiha, Itachi. He understood what was happening, especially since Itachi vividly described the coming of Sasuke. Not wanting to be outdone by Itachi, Menma demanded to be present. At this moment, he sincerely regretted his decision.

"The first one is out, and it's a girl."

The midwife handed the small bundle to Menma, as he was the only one with a free hand that wasn't giving birth.

"Do you wanna name her?" Minato offered, as he knew that Menma was putting on a facade of bravery.

Even he, the Hokage, wanted to run away and cry.

Knowing that they'd planned to name one of the babies Naruto, Menma opted to make a slight adjustment to the masculine name. If one baby was a girl, the other would most likely be a female as well.

"Naruko," he suggested.

The baby giggled at the sound, the laughter ringing pleasantly through the ears of her brother and father. Meanwhile, Kushina gave another push and the head of Naruko's twin slid out painfully.

"BOY OR GIRL, THIS ONE IS NARUTO!" she wailed, nearly ripping off Minato's hand as she pushed with all of her Uzumaki might.

"A boy," the midwife gave him to his mum.

Though she was exhausted, she flashed her family a triumphant smile.

But then she started screaming as her seal came loose despite the preparations.

The beast inside her was breaking free.