Chapter 16: Spanish Project

Comincia dall'inizio

"Okay dad, I will." I head out to my car and then remember that Aris' house is walking distance. I'm going to walk. I check the time, which reads 5:00 p.m. It's still light outside, so why not?

It takes fifteen minutes to get to his house. I'm really out of shape. I wipe the sweat from my brow after I ring the doorbell. Aphena answers the door and shoots me one her famous mischievous grins.

"We're just doing a project," I say before she can say anything.

"I'm sure you are," she says with sarcasm.

"Aphena, we already talked about this," I whisper, hoping no one can hear. "I don't like Aris."

"I know girl. I'm just messing with you! I mean, that look on your face. I'm sorry chica." She's laughing now.

"It's okay. I know you're joking with me. So where's Aris?"

"Oh he's upstairs taking a shower. He said you could go set up the project stuff in his room and come hang out with me when you're done. Anyways, you know where his room is at. Make yourself at home."

"Thanks Aphena." I head upstairs to Aris' room. I open my backpack and pull out the manila folder with all our information on it. I also brought a English/Spanish dictionary to help Aris out.

Just as I'm about to head out, I hear the door open, and in walks Aris with a towel covering his waist.

"Ahhhh!" I scream and shield my innocent eyes. Although I didn't see anything, (thankfully) I still feel very uncomfortable.

"Wow. This isn't wierd at all,"I hear him say. "Give me a sec here Lois. I'm sorry by the way." I don't respond back, hoping we can just forget this actually happened.

I hear a door close after a long minute, Aris says, "Okay, I'm good. I'm really sorry Lois. I figures you had already came to my room and went downstairs. I probably should've knocked first." I can tell he's as embarrassed as well.

I uncover my eyes and see that he is now fully dressed.

"Sooo," I drag out the word. "Let's finish that project."

"Yeah, sounds good to me." He looks relieved that I don't say anything about what just happened.

After a few minutes, we are working on the project and have forgotten about the situation.

"¿Qué es tu comidá favorita?" Aris asks. Translation : What is your favorite food? Aris found my dictionary quite useful.

"Mi comida favorita es la pizza," I answer. Translation: my favorite food is pizza.

"Seriously, pizza? Lois, your dad is training to be a professional chef, and your favorite food is pizza?" Aris asks.

"Hey! Pizza is like the best food ever. You can't deny it."

"Uh, I have to disagree. Mac n' Cheese is where it's at," he says with a smug smile.

After bantering for a while over food and spanish, we finally finish our project.

"What time is it Aris?" I ask standing up. I stretch my arms, my bones popping in the process.

"Um, it's 8:30. Want to go get something to eat? I'm starving," he says rubbing his stomach.

"Sure. What sounds good?" I ask, feeling starved myself. I hadn't eaten since breakfast, which surprisingly only consisted of a granola bar.

"I don't know. Maybe Mac n' Cheese?" Aris wiggles his eyebrows.

"Hmm...Only if we can get pizza." I say, trying to make a deal.

"Well yeah. Who could forget about the pizza?"

We head downstairs and ask Aphena if she wants to come get food with us.

"Nah, I already ate," she says lazily, flipping through the television channels. She is sprawled over the black couch with a baby duck blanket over her.

We get in Aris' car and drive to a local pizza joint. "Do you think they have my favorite?" Aris asks excitedly.

"I'm not sure. They might."

After ordering a large cheese pizza, Aris pops the big question.

"Do ya'll sell Mac n' Cheese?" He asks the cashier who is ringing us up.

"I'm sorry son, we don't." The older man looks at us apologetically.

"Dang, I was really looking forward to eating some," he hangs his head low. What a drama queen.

I'm about to hand the cashier a twenty dollar bill when Aris pushes my hand back. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Paying?" I state.

"No you're not," Aris says, handing the cashier the money. "My treat."

I sigh but put my money away.

"Well, we sell macaroni at the Stop And Go," I say.

"Is it still open?"

"Yeah."

"Then away we go!" He grabs my arm and pulls me out of the pizza shop.

We head out to the car,and see Nina getting out of her vehicle. Surprisingly, Lacy isn't with her. She's probably still recovering from the pounding Jessie gave her. Nina shoots me a look. Then to Aris, she gives him a fake, bright smile.

"Hey Aris! How's your day been?" She asks in an annoyingly sweet voice, batting her eyelashes at him.

"Great, actually! I've been hanging out with Lois all day," he says sincerely.

"Well, if you ever get a chance, I'm sure you'd have a better time with me." Ooh, she's lucky I'm not Jessie. I bite my lower lip, trying to ignore this girl.

"Nah, I'm good. I'm already having a good time."

Nina looks at me disbelieving. "Whatever." She stomps off to the pizza place.

"Thanks Aris," I whisper when Nina is out of sight.

"For what?" He asks, linking his arm to mine.

"For being awesome."

             _____________

After getting the macaroni, we head back to the Aris' place to chow down. We play on the Wii and chat with Aphena, who is half asleep. We don't play Just Dance, which I have to brag, I'm getting pretty good at.

"I think I better head out," I say after a while. I honestly don't want to leave, but it's near ten.

"Nooo," they both whine.

"Please stay," Aphena begs, pulling on my arm.

"I can't," I apologize. "I have to be home by ten."

"I'm taking you home then,"Aris says, grabbing his keys off the coffee table.

"It's okay, I can walk. It's not too far."

"Nope, I'm taking you."

"Fine," I give in. Honestly, it's dark outside, so I'm kind of scared to be out there alone.

Once we get to my house, Aris sighs. "I hope we can do this again. It was super fun."

"Yeah, me too. I had a lot of fun," I say as I open the car door and step out. "Bye Aris."

"Bye Lois."

-------a/n-------

Let me know what you think! I love reading everyone's comments. By the way, what's ya'lls favorite food??

Love ya'll,

Selena