Chapter 11: Single

He's inching closer to me. He has that kinda sexy stride you see on a Calvin Klein model in an underwear commercial. Fuck, I can't look away. I'm freaking out. It's not like I like him or anything though.

"Hey Brandon," Jessie says. I stare at her wondering when she became civil with the football star that confused me with Ursula off The Little Mermaid.

"Hey Jessie." Wait, do they get along or something? Okay, I'm completely out of the loop. He waves at Teresa who is fiddling with her blue t-shirt. I did tell her the fabric was uncomfortable. Oh well, her problem now. She looks up and smiles. Brenda is the only person in the room who is not affected by his irresistible looks. She's just staring at me for some reason.

"Hey Lois," Brandon smiles at me like we're best friends. We're not. Definitely not.

"Hi Brandon," I say lazily. Why is he standing so close to me? Get the fuck away from me, you sexy beast. I take a huge bite of my pretzel, hoping he'll eventually leave. I hope that my loud chewing and smacking will scare him away from our table. I chew slowly to avoid talking to him. It doesn't work.

He sits down next to me.  I put my pretzel down feeling defeated. I guess fat girls just naturally attract hot, football players. Yeah, I have game. He sets his shopping bag down on the floor. Guess he's going to be here a while.

"So did y'all come school shopping?" Brandon asks Lex. I'm still slowly chewing to avoid conversation with him. Leave already! Him and Lex are in their own conversation when I feel my phone vibrate. Thank God, I need a good distraction. I look down to see a text message from Jessie.

Talk to him!!! ;)

Hell no. I look up at Jessie with a scowl on my face before replying back. She has a big grin on her face that gives me more reason for wanting to slap her.

Why??! I reply angrily.

Because you like him! Remember? ;) She replies.

Fuck you. I don't like him...like that. And stop with the wink faces!!!

I look at her and, she winks at me before quickly typing on her phone. I won't stop bugging you unless you talk to him! ;)

I finish chewing and swallow the pretzel. "Fine!" I accidentally yell out loud. Everyone at our table is now looking at me like I'm crazy. "Fine weather we're having," I say. Seriously, 'fine weather we're having'? Could I be anymore stupid?

Brandon is now laughing at me awkwardly. Teresa is giggling, her short black hair covering her face. Jessie is smiling and winks at me again. Ugh. Lex and Brenda are still staring at me like I'm crazy. How do I end up in situations like this? FML.

"So, um, the weather is really nice today," I say lamely. Shut your trap hole!

"Sure sis," Lex says. My face feels hot. I want to be swallowed by the earth right now. Please.

Brandon looks at me with his amazing blue eyes and short brown hair. Yes, I used amazing and his eyes in the same sentence. "Yeah, I guess the weather is pretty nice," he says. I notice he has pearly white teeth and a strong jawline. Quit noticing things!

"So what brings you here?" Jessie asks. She's the only one acting normal, besides all the winking.

"I was just picking up a few pairs of jeans. Then I had to buy my sister a birthday gift," He says.

"What did you get her?" I ask curiously. Yeah, yeah I'm nosy. So what?

"Well I wasn't sure what to get her, so I just bought her a necklace." He shrugs.

"Well, let's see it," I demand. He reaches into the bag on the floor and pulls out a beautiful necklace. It's silver and has a heart that says 'love' on it. "Are you sure that's not for your girlfriend?"I ask.

He chuckles and says, "Nah, I don't have a girlfriend." What? Big surprise there. No, seriously.

Lex suddenly butts in. "So you dumped Lacy? Dude she was hot!"

"Yeah, I broke up with her. She's been telling everyone that she broke up with me because she got bored." Brandon looks more disappointed than angry.

"That isn't true though, right?" I'm sorry, but I want to know.

"I broke up with her last week when Nina showed me her messages. Apparently Lacy told her that she thought 'the new guy Aris' was hot and that she wanted to get with him. In case you didn't know, Aris is my cousin." Just then I remember Aris telling me they were cousins the day I bought my swimsuit.

I suddenly feel bad for Brandon. I didn't recognize him when he called me gigantica, but now that I think about it, I remember hearing about Lacy dating one of the football players. Lacy is the head cheerleader, so everyone knows her. Plus she's a very rude person...yeah, we'll go with that.

"So I confronted Lacy with Nina there. She denied it, of course, and slapped Nina for betraying her trust. Which I knew she was just mad because she got caught. Long story short, Nina tried to get with me, I rejected her, and her and Lacy are best friends again."

"Dang, man. That's messed up." I nod my head in agreement with Lex. I hear Brenda say, "That sucks." There are no other words to describe that situation best, so the rest of us don't say anything else about it.

"So are you excited about being the quarterback this year?" Lex changes the subject. I can tell by the look on his face that Brandon is grateful to talk about something else.

"Yeah. Now that Brody graduated, coach has decided to put me in as his replacement. I have a lot of work to do. I mean, Brody was the best." Lex and Brandon continue having their own conversation about football.

Teresa and Brenda start telling me about all the cute clothes they bought. Jessie just sits back with a smug look on her face, so I decide to text her to see what's up.

What's with the look??

She starts typing quickly, and Teresa and Brenda don't even notice. I found you a potential boyfriend! ;)

I look up at Jessie and give her an 'are you serious?' look. Yeah right, like a guy like him would ever like a girl like me. Besides, I don't even like him!

What do you mean a 'girl like me'?? You mean a gorgeous girl with a great personality?? If so, you must be crazy.

I don't text Jessie back. Instead I give her a big smile.