Chapter 16: Spanish Project

_________________

I force myself to break away from his gaze. "I have to go," I say, eyeing Jessie.

"Alright, I'll see you later?" Aris asks, rubbing the back of his head.

"Sure," I tell him, waving goodbye.

I walk towards my group of friends and see Coach Kent chewing Jessie and Lacy out. His face resembles a tomato, and I try not to think of how comical it looks.

"Suspension for two days. For the both of you," Coach Kent yells, pointing a heavy finger at them.

They nod their heads. Blood is running down Lacy's nose and tears are falling down her face. Yep, Jessie definitely hit her hard. When Lacy leaves, my friends and I walk over to make sure Jessie is okay.

Jessie has a long scratch on her face and her hair looks a little messed up, but nothing serious.  "I can't believe you did that," Brenda says, her expression incredulous.

"She asked for it," is all Jessie says.

I feel bad. I think it's my fault Jessie is in trouble now. If we hadn't been cheering, Lacy wouldn't have said anything. She wouldn't have said anything to Jessie, called me a fatso afterwards, (at least not at the game, I think) and Jessie wouldn't have hit her. Jessie doesn't look upset with me but I still have to say something.

"Jessie, I'm sorry you got in trouble. This is all my fault." I look at the ground, feeling bad.

Jessie sighs and shakes her head. "Lois, I'm not mad. This isn't your fault. I hit her because she's a...you know." Jessie smiles and gives me a hug.

I drive home thinking about the crazy night. The cheering, winning the game, the fight, and Aris. Guys are so confusing. I like Aris as a friend, but sometimes I feel like there could be something more. Then I think about how I'm fat, and how he would never like me.

Then there's Brandon. Who not too long ago, I really disliked. Now he's one of my good friends who stuck up for me in Physics. I don't like him in that way, but he's really grown on me. All I know is that I deeply care about both of them.

             ____________

This weekend I decide to catch up on all my school work. Let's see, Physics is done. Spanish...oh man. I haven't touched that packet since Monday. Aris and I haven't finished our project. I should text him to see if he's busy.

Aris and I both decide to finish the project at his house.

After getting ready, I head downstairs and find my dad watching the latest Superman movie.

"Hey dad, what's up?" I say. I'm not even sure he heard me since he doesn't say anything. I'm not surprised, he is completely entrances with the movie. "Dad!" I say louder this time.

He doesn't look up from the television though. "Hey Lex," he mumbles. Seriously?

"Dad, I'm going go to go hang out with a guy." If anything, this will get his attention.

"Excuse me?" He turns from the screen to face me with his eyebrows raised so high that they look like they are a part of his hairline. "Who's this guy you're going to 'hang out' with? He asks suspiciously.

"Dad, it's Aris, and we have to finish our Spanish Project," I say annoyed, yet glad I finally have his attention.

"Well, I might have a little talk with Aris. Other than that, yeah you can go. Just be back before ten. Your mom is working late at the senior citizen's home tonight and said she didn't want you or Lex out too late."